ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Still into motion

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
stig olsenStill into motion
by on Nov 12, 2014 at 10:56:54 am

I got this still image that I want to make look like an hand held shot(not shaky, but a controlled and steady hand held).

How would you go about this?

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Still into motion
by on Nov 12, 2014 at 12:08:52 pm

There are scripts (aescripts)
and free presets

and tutorials

But, to get exactly what you want, shoot some shaky video with some good tracking points in it, track and apply that to your still.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Daniel WaldronRe: Still into motion
by on Nov 12, 2014 at 3:32:20 pm
Last Edited By Daniel Waldron on Nov 12, 2014 at 3:35:31 pm

I usually just add wiggle expressions to the position, rotation, and orientation of a camera in the composition. You can add as much or as little as you need for each to get the look you want.

Another way to do it is to shoot a quick handheld video with whatever camera you have available (it would probably even work on a phone) and use tracking data from that on you comp camera. Just make sure you have some decent track points in your shot; you could even just throw some gaffers tape on the wall. Doesn't need to be pretty. ;)

Edit: Just saw Ted also suggested shooting...

Return to posts index

JP PelcRe: Still into motion
by on Nov 12, 2014 at 4:13:53 pm

In order to more successfully fake a "footage" look, you will need to take the photo into Photoshop and depending on the contents of your image you will need to put certain elements on separate layers, then clone stamp background layers to extend them. Then you can take the separate layers into After Effects, separate them in Z-space, and your camera shake will look a bit more realistic. This should give you some help:

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved