ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Preset or expression to change multiple shape colors in a pre comp?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Casimir Fornalski
Preset or expression to change multiple shape colors in a pre comp?
on Nov 10, 2014 at 7:33:21 pm

Has anyone rigged a preset or expression that will allow you to change multiple solid colors in a precomp with specific colors you can define?

For example:

I have a precomp with three shapes in it. Each shape is either 255 Red, 255 Green or 255 Blue.

I'd like to use this comp over and over with varying colors, but I need to specify which colors they are, so a simple hue shift won't work.

I've tried using the Change to Color effect, which gets me ~90% of the way but I don't like the sloppy edges and unpredictable jittering that happens during animation.

Ideally, I'd need a preset or effect that just allows me to specify three different colors, and then make four or five versions of this preset I could then just drop on the same precomp over and over to get nice color variation while still staying within my specified color palette.

Any ideas, folks?

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
Re: Preset or expression to change multiple shape colors in a pre comp?
on Nov 10, 2014 at 11:11:09 pm

if you want to keep you current set up using RGB colors, you could probably use colorama to r-ecolorize the solids.

you'd need to set the input phase>get phase from to 'hue' and then you'd determine the 3 colors to use to colorize those rgb colors to in the output cycle. if you think of the output cycle wheel as a clock face, the way the wheel breaks down (when hue is selected for input) is red = 12, green = 4, blue = 8. deselecting the 'interpolate palette' option may make it easier to seet he colors.

colorama doesn't play nice with a layer's alpha, so you'd also want to add cc composite, with composite original set to 'stencil alpha'

once you have those 3 colors set and cc composite, save that as a preset. when you need it, select the 3 layers and apply the preset.

if you don't mind changing your set up a little, you could use tritone, which gives you three color chips to set, and it works with alpha, so the set up is easier. tritone uses a layer's intensity (or luminance) so it would require you to change your RGB layers to white, 50% gray and black, but then setting the remapped colors is a little more straight forward.

Kevin Camp
Art Director
KCPQ, KZJO & KRCW

Return to posts index

Casimir Fornalski
Re: Preset or expression to change multiple shape colors in a pre comp?
on Nov 12, 2014 at 12:11:40 am

The Tritone method worked great, actually! Thanks for the tip.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]