ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Eraser Tool

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ola sanda
Eraser Tool
on Nov 9, 2014 at 5:24:56 pm

Hi there :)

When I erase in a layer, using the eraser tool, the erased area is active in all the frames.

I have moving objects in the layer and I therefor want to erase areas frame by frame.

In the Effects Panel "Effects/Paint/Compositing Options/ Effect Opacity" I can keyframe it from 100% to 0%, and do this for every erasing, frame by frame, but it takes a lot of time.

I'm pretty sure, there must be an easier way, so that the erased area only is active ONE frame and then I erase again next frame etc. etc. Can someone please assist ?

Needless to say I'm brand new to AE ;)

Ola

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
Re: Eraser Tool
on Nov 10, 2014 at 7:31:13 am

When the Eraser (or any Paint Tool) is selected, the Duration pop-up menu allows you to select the duration of each stroke that you input. Select the option that best meets your needs.

HTH
- Roland

TypeGEMs - the Definitive Type Gizmo for AE
http://broadcastgems.com/typegems/

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations
Adobe After Effects CC ACE/ACI
Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor

http://www.broadcastgems.com/mographintensity_shapestext/

Return to posts index

ola sanda
on Nov 10, 2014 at 4:46:07 pm

Thanks a lot Roland ! :-)

Ola

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Nov 10, 2014 at 5:31:29 pm

You can also see and modify the extents and durations of paint strokes by selecting a layer in the timeline and revealing the contents of Effects > Paint, or by using the shortcut PP (select a layer and quickly press the P key twice to reveal its paint strokes).

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

ola sanda
on Nov 11, 2014 at 12:23:46 am

Thanks Walter ! :-)

When I go into this contents of Effects > Paint, how can I then see, which painting or erasing belongs to which frame ? For example, if I am in the timeline on a specific frame and I need some adjustings to my erasing on this exact frame, then how do I know which of all the listed erasings (in my case 150), is the one that belongs to my specific frame ?

Ola

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 10, 2014 at 6:56:07 pm

...and since you're new to AE, it may also be helpful to know what you're trying to accomplish. There may be an easier or better way than using the eraser tool.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

ola sanda
on Nov 11, 2014 at 12:32:48 am

Thanks Dave :-)

In my specific case, I have rotoscoped a persons arm and then later I see, that the rotoscoping could have been better. So I wanted to fx. zoom in to the fingers and make some adjustings with the eraser.

I guess, that it is possible to go into the effects control and adjust a specific rotoscoped area in a specific frame, but I don't know how to do that yet ;-)

And also, is it possible to use the Pen Tool for erasing ? When I try to do this, I make a mask but then I don't know if I can somewhat "erase" that selected are.

Thanks for helping :-)

Ola

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 11, 2014 at 12:45:57 am
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Nov 11, 2014 at 1:32:14 am

I recommend going back and fixing the original roto work. In the long run, it will save time. No doubt the arm moves, which means you would need a new erasure for almost every frame of the video. That's no fun.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

ola sanda
on Nov 11, 2014 at 5:30:46 pm

Hi Dave and thanks.

I guess this is the same as with the erasings I mentioned, I mean where You go into the Effects < Paint and choose the exact paint listed and then correct it ? Is it the same way You correct rotoscoping ?

The problem is I still don't know how to find out, which of all the listed erasings/rotoscopings (in my case MANY), is the one that belongs to my specific frame ? And furthermore how to correct these.

Ola

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Nov 11, 2014 at 5:37:27 pm

Using the Paint tool is not a good workflow for roto. It will be a ton of work and almost certainly lead to bad results (chattering edges).

Start here:
http://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/animating-shape-paths-masks.html...

An oldie but goodie:
https://library.creativecow.net/articles/oconnell_pete/roto.php

Also consider the Rotobrush tool, which helps automate rotoscoping (but which isn't perfectly intuitive and will require you to read up a bit):
http://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/roto-brush-refine-edge.html

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 11, 2014 at 5:49:50 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Nov 11, 2014 at 7:33:00 pm

I agree 100% with the Good Mr. Soyka: if you are using the eraser tool for rotoscoping, you selected the wrong tool.

You should familiarize yourself with the rotoscoping resources Walter listed.

It also sounds like you may have come from a Photoshop background. The eraser tool may have been great for a single still image, but now your images MOVE. You have not one, but frequently 60 still images in a single second.

Such a difference demands new techniques or you will drive yourself nuts... and we don't want that to happen.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

ola sanda
on Nov 11, 2014 at 8:12:48 pm

Thanks for the links Walter, I will definitely look into them.

And thanks also for Your comments Dave.

I have rotoscoped what I wanted, but now afterwards I see, that in some particular frames, it could have been better. Therefor I was looking at the Eraser tool. I still don't know how to make changes to the rotoscoped frame afterwards, so I'll look at those links now and see if I get it :-)

Ola

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]