ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

SD Card for Disk Cache? Would it be possible?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Pedro AmaralSD Card for Disk Cache? Would it be possible?
by on Nov 9, 2014 at 1:36:11 am

Hi,

A couple weeks ago a friend of mine recommended me to use an external drive using thunderbolt and set it up as the drive for Disk Cache in After Effects.
I never thought of it before and never thought it could be of much advantage, but it sounded promising considering how fast the thunderbolt is and it should make cache fast and easy, the downside is, as I use a retina Macbook Pro, I don't really want to walk around with an external hardrive all the time.

I recently came across this article about using SD cards ready to fit nicely in the Macbook Pro card reader slot without protruding out.
And I thought - it doesn't add weight or extra space, and I don't need to carry it around as it fits perfectly in the slot, would I be able to use it as my Disk Cache in AE??

Now, these SD cards for now can only go up to 128Gb and I'm not so sure about how fast the card reader works.
Would using one of these SD cards be any advantage to hold cache in AE? Would it be too slow to read from?
Will AE even recognise and accept the SD Card as a drive as Disk Cache destination?
Is 128Gb a reasonable amount of space for cache? I mean I have 46Gb right now as standard.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Brian CharlesRe: SD Card for Disk Cache? Would it be possible?
by on Nov 9, 2014 at 2:21:03 am

[Pedro Amaral] "Would using one of these SD cards be any advantage to hold cache in AE? "

Short answer: No.

[Pedro Amaral] "Would it be too slow to read from?"

Much slower than the SSD in the Macbook. Depending on the speed from 3 to 10 times slower. If you're looking at the Transcend JetDrives, they're really for storing data that doesn't require the fast read or write speed.

[Pedro Amaral] "Will AE even recognise and accept the SD Card as a drive as Disk Cache destination?"

It will, but its not worth it.

Return to posts index

Chris WrightRe: SD Card for Disk Cache? Would it be possible?
by on Nov 9, 2014 at 2:34:41 am
Last Edited By Chris Wright on Nov 9, 2014 at 3:00:19 am

from article :"Transcend says that users can expect read and write speeds of up to 95MB/s" sorry 4k needs 1152MB/sec. but there are SD cards out there that can do this, but you can still do ProRes HQ @ 28MB/sec. so it all depends on what files you're using as long as your media drive is separate from your cache drive. Since cache requires the fastest, it might be better to use the sd for media instead.

Thunderbolt 2 is fast enough for 4k. NOT thunderbolt 1. so don't go buying plain thunderbolt thinking you're golden.

SD cards do exist but they require new motherboards with 4x m2. support.
at m.2 4x 1.16 GB/s read speed, one single sd card is faster than EIGHT hd's in raid. 4k with one card? 4K film DPX 4096 x 3112 is 1152MB/sec(1.15GB/sec)... so bam!, you've just nailed 4k land with ZERO hard drives. Yep, its fast enough for cache(the old man).

Return to posts index

by on Nov 10, 2014 at 11:02:38 pm
Last Edited By Brian Charles on Nov 10, 2014 at 11:03:00 pm

[Chris Wright] "at m.2 4x 1.16 GB/s read speed, one single sd card is faster than EIGHT hd's in raid. 4k with one card? 4K film DPX 4096 x 3112 is 1152MB/sec(1.15GB/sec)... so bam!, you've just nailed 4k land with ZERO hard drives. Yep, its fast enough for cache(the old man)."

Isn't M.2 the new mSATA? So for SSD's not SDHC?

I'm not sure this applies to SDHC cards in any way which is what the OP was asking.

Return to posts index

Chris WrightRe: SD Card for Disk Cache? Would it be possible?
by on Nov 10, 2014 at 11:26:46 pm

it may seem a little confusing at first, because it is a relatively new technology. I was specifying the newest NVMe rates which is m.2 x4 NOT x2 or old pcie. x4 uses more pci lanes to transmit data hence 4 lanes = more bandwidth. There a dizzying array of ssd types out there so be sure you buy the right one. And when I post, I always add a little extra in there to help the economy. buy more stuff!

here are the main differences of msata vs m.2
//techi talk
http://rog.asus.com/308552014/labels/guides/ssd-guide-pci-express-m-2-msata...
///more wiki stuff
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_ATA#Mini-SATA_.28mSATA.29

here's the link to the actual newest 4x lanes speed of pci
http://www.anandtech.com/show/8045/asrock-z97-extreme6-review-ultra-m2-x4-t...

and SDHC CAN hold data. Just well, you're kinda going back in time to 2005 or so.

Return to posts index

by on Nov 10, 2014 at 11:49:27 pm
Last Edited By Brian Charles on Nov 10, 2014 at 11:50:46 pm

Sure but the OP has a Retina MacBook Pro with an SDHC card slot. Which is why I did not recommend using it for an After Effects disk cache, the internal SSD is far more efficient.

Return to posts index

Pedro AmaralRe: SD Card for Disk Cache? Would it be possible?
by on Nov 11, 2014 at 12:31:19 am

Hey Brian,

Thanks a lot for your replies.
I kind of suspected it would be asking to much to have the card reader doing the heavy job but it would be awesome if it would work somehow.

The SSD should work just fine for now.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Pedro AmaralRe: SD Card for Disk Cache? Would it be possible?
by on Nov 11, 2014 at 12:38:04 am

Hi Chris,

Thanks a lot for your replies and for sharing all the info.

Not sure if my new Retina Macbook Pro motherboard would support it but it would definitely be such an awesome feature to explore in the future!
Its tiny, unnoticeable, doesn't bother anyone with cables, space or weight... One day in the future maybe!

Thanks a lot again for helping out.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]