ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

AE Solid with shape layer by mask - extrude?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew HuntAE Solid with shape layer by mask - extrude?
by on Nov 7, 2014 at 7:07:54 pm

Hi, I like making futuristic looking screens and UIs in after effects, not as a job just as a hobby. So I can make the basic lines with colours add effects in 2D, which is what I usually do. I just realised I could use 3D to move the virtual camera around and create cool effects. So I made my solid 3D and am having a hard time trying to work out how to extrude, like expand the lines. I tried all the properties but none of them do it. Here are some pictures:,ghS3iyO#0

So I am trying to expand the lines into z space.

I know it may be a simple problem, but I am a beginner in after effects.

Thanks for your help, if you need more info ask.

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: AE Solid with shape layer by mask - extrude?
by on Nov 7, 2014 at 8:21:30 pm

For true extrusion, press cntl+K, select advanced and change the renderer to Ray Traced 3D. Be warned though that unless you have a really quick graphics card with lots of CUDA cores, this is going to go really slow.

You might also want to check out Getting started with After Effects (CS4, CS5, CS5.5, CS6, & CC), lots of great info and free tutorials to learn from there.

You might like this too: Futuristic HUD

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved