ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Critique my 3D Spaceship Composition (Be Harsh, Please!)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Todd DaviesCritique my 3D Spaceship Composition (Be Harsh, Please!)
by on Nov 5, 2014 at 6:09:43 pm

So, I've modeled, textured, and composited a 3d spaceship into some footage. I will be using this as a clip in my reel.

Please note, I'm an editor, not a 3d modeler but I'd like to add this to my reel to show that i can play with color, 3d comps, and 3d models (maya).

Please be harsh and tell me if there's any room for improvement with the compositing. The model is just the best I can do so I'd mores like advice on the compositing.

Here's the video:

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Critique my 3D Spaceship Composition (Be Harsh, Please!)
by on Nov 5, 2014 at 6:27:00 pm

Page not found

Sorry, there is no video here.
Either it was deleted or it never existed in the first place. Such are the mysteries of the Internet.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Bobby YarsulikRe: Critique my 3D Spaceship Composition (Be Harsh, Please!)
by on Nov 5, 2014 at 7:18:58 pm

The ship look like it was composited pretty well, as far as being obscured by haze in the distance. The rotation animation of the ship looked like 1 fps when the camera zoomed in though, not sure if that was on purpose.

Also, the movements that you put into the camera, I would probably add a little rotation too to give it more of a natural feel.

If you look up the QHQ Stop Motion tutorial, and download his scripts, (follow the tutorial, it's literally required to use the scripts the right way).

If you just set up the Glitch Camera, and Stop Motion layers, you can make a really good looking camera jitter that is natural. Just set the Glitch Camera to your native FPS.

Inside the Stop Motion layers, find the "AUTOMATIC" settings for the positioning and rotation, and change the expression near the end to /8 or /10 instead of /3. That way it is a little slower.

Return to posts index

George GoodmanRe: Critique my 3D Spaceship Composition (Be Harsh, Please!)
by on Nov 5, 2014 at 9:02:02 pm

1 pretty big fundamental problem that should make a world of difference:

Notice the shadows on the cars are shooting off to the left? Thats because the light source is from the right.

On your spaceship, there is a strong rim light on the bottom left side - it would actually be on the right side. This makes your light source inconsistent and messes up the illusion.

Also, because its a scene around sunset, the light itself would be much softer and unlikely to create such a bright highlight. The highlight that it would make would also be tinted to a warmish orange and not pure white. You probably don't want the top quite so dark either.

Basically, just focus on making it look like one giant soft light is coming from the right side.

Hope that helps!

"|_ (°_0) _|"

Return to posts index

Richard GarabedainRe: Critique my 3D Spaceship Composition (Be Harsh, Please!)
by on Nov 5, 2014 at 11:46:39 pm

Is the ship above the cars or above the mountain? Hard to tell depth wise as there is as much haze on the ship as there are in the mountains far behind it. It looks like it was photoshopped because it looks as if the ship is completely still, with no method of propulsion or distortion effects in the slightest. Don't know if the blur is draft or real, but it looks terrible. Fast blur is not the way to go here.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved