ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

After Effects "Freeze" function for Rotoscoping.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ola sandaAfter Effects "Freeze" function for Rotoscoping.
by on Nov 5, 2014 at 4:05:30 pm

Hi there :-)

So I rotoscoped a object in a layer and pressed the "Freeze" button.

When I then looked at the composition, I could see some things that I wanted to correct, meaning doing a more detailed rotoscoping. But I don't seem to be able to rotoscope any further, after the Freeze function has been activated.

So I pressed "Freeze" again and then I lost all my rotoscoping and it started rotoscoping again :-(

Being brand new to After Effects, can someone please explain this "Freeze" function to me and what it does and is used for ?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: After Effects "Freeze" function for Rotoscoping.
by on Nov 5, 2014 at 5:29:26 pm

Please understand that Rotobrush can NOT be used intuitively. You MUST run the tutorials on it and read up on it.

Giving instructions on its use is beyond the scope of a simple post in a forum. Find those Rotobrush training resources and get crackin'.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

James ArchibaldRe: After Effects "Freeze" function for Rotoscoping.
by on Nov 5, 2014 at 5:31:07 pm
Last Edited By James Archibald on Nov 5, 2014 at 5:32:56 pm

The roto brush will constantly update or "propagate" its matte every time you change/open your comp. Freezing prevents it doing this, as it's a time-consuming process. Unfreezing won't 'lose' your roto, it'll just allow it to propagate it again. If you go into the effect properties of the roto'd layer, you'll notice that it will still have all your brush strokes and refine strokes logged at each frame you made them.
See the roto brush? It's pretty cool.

In short, you won't have lost anything - you can unfreeze, make your corrections, allow it to propagate and re-freeze without losing your initial brush strokes.

It's also worth noting that refining your matte in the roto effect controls does not require unfreezing, but using the refine brush does.

• Archie •

Return to posts index

ola sandaRe: After Effects "Freeze" function for Rotoscoping.
by on Nov 6, 2014 at 10:27:06 pm

Hello Archie,

Thanks alot for the detailed advice :-)

Looks like a quite big function :-)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved