ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Luther opening credits - how can I create something similar?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ashley WhartonLuther opening credits - how can I create something similar?
by on Nov 4, 2014 at 6:14:20 pm

I love the Luther credits as seen here:

LUTHER Titles from MOMOCO Film Titles on Vimeo.

From the creators: "The sequence is a painterly, fragmented portrait of John Luther. It follows the character through the night, crossing the lines between madness and stability.The lines intersect and splice the typography like razor wire. They are almost web like, trapping him.

Nic Benns & Miki Kato painted 20 scenes before compositing and animating them in After Effects with production images of Idris Elba. The credits are also hand made - imperfect, stamped lettering."

I'd like to create a similar effect using only Adobe After Effects (and Premiere Pro). Specifically a similar coloring effect with the reds and yellows as well as the transitioning faded colors and the lines. Would anyone have any idea what kind of effects or any other techniques that could be used to imitate this?

Return to posts index

Daniel WaldronRe: Luther opening credits - how can I create something similar?
by on Nov 4, 2014 at 9:40:19 pm

It looks like a lot of ink bleeds and track mattes, with different blend modes on the overlaying shots. Use shape layers for the lines and change their blend mode too. Get the coloring by using color correction effects like tint, hue/saturation, and curves on adjustment layers or precomps. Maybe throw some film noise or use the fractal noise effect on top of everything to give it a grungy look. I'm just spitballing some ideas here. It doesn't look exceedingly difficult; just a lot of layers to play with.

Return to posts index

Ashley WhartonRe: Luther opening credits - how can I create something similar?
by on Nov 4, 2014 at 11:29:27 pm

Thanks so much for the info! Would you know of any good places for tutorials to learn those kind of effects?

Return to posts index

Brian CharlesRe: Luther opening credits - how can I create something similar?
by on Nov 5, 2014 at 1:32:41 am

Here's one.

http://www.aftereffectstutorials.blog.com/2012/06/27/ink-bleed-picture-reve...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]