ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

After Effects file replaced

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
tyson andersonAfter Effects file replaced
by on Nov 3, 2014 at 4:53:06 am

I'm freakin out right now! Here's the summary: About a month ago I started an after effects project on my desktop. Then transferred it to a portable hard drive and that's what I've been making changes to for the last month. I just now transferred it back to my desktop and received a message asking about replacing the file. I assumed it was asking to replace the older project folder on my desktop with the new folder from my portable hard drive. When I opened up the new folder on the desktop, it was the original project I started a month ago. And now when I open the one on my portable hard drive, it also opens the original one from a month ago. Now I'm worried I just lost that last month of work. I apologize for over explaining, but can someone please help me out??

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: After Effects file replaced
by on Nov 3, 2014 at 12:40:35 pm

Sounds like you inadvertently dragged the old desktop file to your portable hard drive, do you have auto-save turned on?

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

tyson andersonRe: After Effects file replaced
by on Nov 3, 2014 at 5:34:28 pm

That's the bizarre thing!! I definitely dragged from portable hd to the desktop, because after it was done transferring, the old folder on the desktop disappeared and the new folder was there. This is where it gets more bizarreā€¦ the auto-save files on the portable hd are now replaced by the auto-save files that were on the desktop with the original AE project file. It's like all the new information in the AE project file has just vanished. In all my years of transferring files, I've never seen the folder I'm transferring "FROM" be affected by the folder I'm transferring "TO". My only guess is that it's some kind of glitch from both folders and AE project files having the same name.

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: After Effects file replaced
by on Nov 3, 2014 at 6:18:31 pm

Unless you can find something other file, it sounds like you are up the creek. I'd recommend for future projects an incremental saving structure, maybe it would have helped in this situation. Also, even on my home computer I've set up a auto backup system of all my drives, just for instances like this.

Sorry man.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]