ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Reloading Photoshop Files in AE CS6

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Keith PriceReloading Photoshop Files in AE CS6
by on Oct 31, 2014 at 5:28:54 am

I just discovered the ability to reload a psd to update an AE project after making changes to the original file in Photoshop.

BUT, in my tests, it only updates layers that existed at the time it was originally imported. I added a couple of new layers and when I reload in AE, those do not get imported.

Also, if I turn visibility of various layers on or off in PS the AE composition does not update, accordingly.

Both of those are features I'm really hoping exist.

Is there any way to add layers and/or change visibility of layers in Photoshop and have those changes reflected in After Effects when you reload the footage?

Return to posts index

Keith PriceHelp! :)
by on Oct 31, 2014 at 4:24:26 pm
Last Edited By Keith Price on Oct 31, 2014 at 4:25:32 pm

If it wasn't clear in my subject line. I'm asking for help with some unusual aspects of Reloading PSD Files.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeOkay.
by on Oct 31, 2014 at 9:55:35 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Oct 31, 2014 at 11:32:23 pm

You ran into the downside of reloading -- you can update stuff in Photoshop, but you can't add new layers in Photoshop because AE won't see them. Sorry.

Now, that doesn't mean you're totally hosed... you can add dummy layers to the original photoshop document right from the start, and fill them in later. That way, AE Sees them.

It DOES involve a bit of pre-planning, but it works.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Keith PriceRe: Okay.
by on Nov 1, 2014 at 12:31:06 am

That's a good solution. Thanks.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved