ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

After Effects CS4 to Final Cut 10 conversions

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sebra LeavesAfter Effects CS4 to Final Cut 10 conversions
by on Oct 29, 2014 at 1:43:07 am

I have After Effects CS4 and have been using the Animation codec to export for online videos without any problems.

I have been using Final Cut 7, but Now I need to produce a ProRes 422 file for Final Cut 10.

I have been trying to export directly from After Effects to ProRes 422 but I'm getting error messages.

What is the best workflow solution from AE to ProRes 422 using: Final Cut 7, Quicktime Pro 7, or Compressor?
Please suggest the best solution?

I'm rendering settings from AE are:
Format: QuickTime Movie
Output Info: DV/DVCPRO - NTSC
Output Info: Spatial Quality = High (100)

I created a ProRes 422 file with Compressor.

Is there a better solution to process animated outline text from Illustrator? Should I apply any filters in AE to make the text look better?

I'm told it looks ok on a windows screen. Download link from wetransfer is here:

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: After Effects CS4 to Final Cut 10 conversions
by on Oct 31, 2014 at 1:50:10 am

DV is not a good choice for an intermediate. It's very lossy, heavily sub-samples chroma, doesn't handle edge detail well, and does not support full-raster HD. Animation codec would be a better choice for your intermediate if you are going to use Compressor thereafter.

However, you should be able to export directly to ProRes 422. What errors are you getting? Does it work better if you remove third-party QuickTime components from the /Library/QuickTime folder?

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Sebra LeavesRe: After Effects CS4 to Final Cut 10 conversions
by on Nov 1, 2014 at 9:40:23 pm

Thanks for your suggestions. I now have the answer to the problem. After three hours, (a lot of waiting on the phone time), and three levels of Apple experts looking at my computer, we came up with the solution.

It had nothing to do with exporting options from AE. It turns out my original Animation output was fine and the correct format for Final Cut. Final Cut automatically creates the ProRes 422 file when it imports it.

The problem was that my client's Final Cut X application had somehow switched from importing and showing the original file. It was importing and showing the proxy file. It had also switched off automatic rendering. All we had to do was change the application preferences and it worked fine.

Lesson learned: Always check and recheck the preferences. Don't import both original and proxy documents unless you have a really big, project. The client was importing both.

Hope this has helped other that may have experienced this problem and thanks for your help.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved