ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Rendering Problem with Shadows imported from Cinema 4D to the latest version of After Effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jorge CarreonRendering Problem with Shadows imported from Cinema 4D to the latest version of After Effects
by on Oct 28, 2014 at 8:32:20 pm

Hi everybody.

I've been searching the forums and I haven't found the right answer. It seems to be a problem in the After Effects 2014 (latest CC update), since I didn't have a problem with the previous version. I created a composition in which I tracked the camera movement with 3D tracker and then exported the movement to a C4D file in which I created some simple Objects, saved the Objects buffers to different files and imported them back to AE, used Multipass, etc. So that the 3D would blend nicely with the 2D footage. I rendered the final file and it looked perfect, that was with the previous version of After Effects. Now the client is asking to make some changes, but when I opened the file there was this weird blending layer appearing between the background and the 3D objects. I found out that it was the Shadow layer C4D file creating the "artifact".

How can I fix this? Where is it originating from? Pre-render, C4D, Software compatailbity?

I've updated C4D to latest version, tweaked the different C4D files, created a new c4D file with objects, at first the artifact didn't show but then after scrolling through the composition the artifact appears in the shadows file.

Here are some screen caps,

The first image its how it looked
The second image is the one with the "artifact", weird blend layer or whatever

I've render the composition using different options. As Animation, Apple ProRes (all formats), H.264 (different variables) and it still has that "artifact". The original was render in Apple ProRes 422 as is, and it looked fine. But like I said I need to make some changes (i.e. get rid of an iris transition and some other text)

iMac 27 inch (Late 2011) • 3.1 GHz Intel Core i5 • 16 GB RAM • 1 TB HD • ATI Radeon HD 6970M 1024 MB • OSX Yosemite • Adobe Creative Cloud 2014 • Maya 2014

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Rendering Problem with Shadows imported from Cinema 4D to the latest version of After Effects
by on Oct 29, 2014 at 12:08:07 am

It looks to me like the background plate has changed. What are your color management settings? Are you using a linear workflow?

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Jorge CarreonRe: Rendering Problem with Shadows imported from Cinema 4D to the latest version of After Effects
by on Oct 30, 2014 at 7:03:19 pm

Hi Walter,

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by background plate. But the Color Settings for AE are 16bpc and Color Profile to none. I had to look a while to find C4D Color Management Settings but for what I've found these are set to sRGB and yes it;s a linear Workflow. I'm posting screen caps for both settings, since I don't know if that's what you meant for Color Management for C4D.

Thanks Walter

iMac 27 inch (Late 2011) • 3.1 GHz Intel Core i5 • 16 GB RAM • 1 TB HD • ATI Radeon HD 6970M 1024 MB • OSX Yosemite • Adobe Creative Cloud 2014 • Maya 2014

Return to posts index

Jorge CarreonRe: Rendering Problem with Shadows imported from Cinema 4D to the latest version of After Effects
by on Nov 1, 2014 at 11:45:55 pm

So I didn't find a solution, but I did find a workaround. For those of you who might stumble into this post and have the same problem. What I did was to Save As -> After Effects CC 12 copy and then open that copy in AE 12 (mine was 12.4.something and it worked) and that's how the shadows displayed properly again.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]