ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

1920x1080 Title/Action Safe etc.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robin Spehar1920x1080 Title/Action Safe etc.
by on Oct 27, 2014 at 8:53:59 pm

Hey all,
Hoping someone has some proper info on what actually happens when 1920x1080 footage is broadcast to todays 16x9 flatscreen TVs. I've heard mixed opinions on this all the way from "you never really know how it will be cropped from set to set" to "All of todays 16x9 flatscreens show 100% of the image edge to edge".

I've noticed that some of todays client styleguides have type riding the Action Safe guide (rather than the Title Safe) and bugs that are out of title safe and the like. So, does anyone know for sure? I'm talking specifically about 16x9 modern flatscreen TVs.
Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: 1920x1080 Title/Action Safe etc.
by on Oct 27, 2014 at 10:24:50 pm

> "All of todays 16x9 flatscreens show 100% of the image edge to edge"

That is false.

Yes, it's true that the bezel is typically much smaller on modern televisions than on older televisions, but some pixels are still obscured by many current televisions.

> I've noticed that some of todays client styleguides...

If you're meeting your client's guidelines, then you're probably OK, at least in terms of getting paid and not having your work rejected for revisions.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

Robin SpeharRe: 1920x1080 Title/Action Safe etc.
by on Oct 27, 2014 at 11:42:20 pm

Thanks for the response, Todd!
One last question just to put this into perspective. If I were to build a 1920x1080 comp that had a 140pixel frame on the inside edge around the whole image, I would have pretty good odds of a good many of those 140 pixels displaying on modern 16x9 sets (especially sets that don't have big nasty bezels on them). Thanks again!

Return to posts index

JP PelcRe: 1920x1080 Title/Action Safe etc.
by on Oct 28, 2014 at 9:24:28 pm

Well I do more work for the web than for TV, but as far as I understand there is still no universal rule for what will happen. While you can be sure that at this point the large majority of home viewers have 16x9 TV's you cannot be sure that they all have brand new models from trustworthy manufacturers such as Sony, LG, etc, nor do they have it calibrated properly. I have seen plenty of TV's at friends' houses that clearly have zoomed in on the image, and no matter what settings I change for them it cannot properly fill the screen without being stretched. Not to mention many people may have changed their TV settings to crop or zoom a certain way when watching something like a 4x3 DVD, and maybe have never changed it back. Not to mention there are cases like mine where my work goes through a local affiliate that JUST got HD broadcasting, so I have a hard time trusting that their broadcasting equipment/techniques are proper.

TL;DR It's still not safe to put critical information outside the safe zone

Return to posts index

Steve BrameRe: 1920x1080 Title/Action Safe etc.
by on Oct 28, 2014 at 10:50:05 pm

Standards??? We don't need no stinking STANDARDS!!!

Asus P6X58D Premium * Core i7 950 * 24GB RAM * nVidia GeForce GTX 770 * Windows 7 Premium 64bit * System Drive - WD Caviar Black 500GB * 2nd Drive(Pagefile, Previews) - WD Velociraptor 10K drive 600GB * Media Drive - 2TB RAID0 (4 - WD Caviar Black 500GB drive) * Matrox MX02 Mini * Adobe CC * QuickTime 7.7.5
"98% of all computer issues can be solved by simply pressing 'F1'."
Steve Brame
creative illusions Productions

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved