ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Why have cache folder on drive separate from your footage

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Orfalea
Why have cache folder on drive separate from your footage
on Oct 25, 2014 at 12:58:49 am

AE prefs read

"For improved performance, choose a disk cache folder on a fast hard drive or SSD separate from your footage and allocate as much space as possible."

I'm just curious why. And specifically why it should be a separate drive from your footage.

---check me out
http://www.youtube.com/orf

Return to posts index

Richard Garabedain
Re: Why have cache folder on drive separate from your footage
on Oct 25, 2014 at 3:31:10 am

Lol, ive wondered the same thing. the computer writes slower to a outside drive than an inside one. Unless youn have a really expensive one...well less expensive these days.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Oct 25, 2014 at 4:29:40 am

[Matt Orfalea] ""For improved performance, choose a disk cache folder on a fast hard drive or SSD separate from your footage and allocate as much space as possible."

I'm just curious why. And specifically why it should be a separate drive from your footage."

The cache works by writing lots of relatively little files -- one for each frame in the comp, plus one for each frame for each layer. For example, a 10-layer, 100-frame composition can generate 1,100 cache files (one per layer per frame, plus one per frame for the comp overall).

In other words, the cache isn't just storing the composite of all layers together; it's saving that, plus the internal composite of each layer individually.

That's a lot of I/O requests, so keeping the cache on an SSD is very helpful in minimizing latency, and keeping the cache separate from footage is helpful in reducing I/O requests on the same drive.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Matt Orfalea
on Oct 26, 2014 at 7:17:35 pm

Will an internal SSD be faster/slower/same speed as an external SSD with a SATA adapter attached to computer via thunderbolt?

I heard there is a limit to how much space the cache will take up on the cache drive. For ex: it will only fill 10% of drive, so if using 1TB SSD, cache size will never go over 100GB. Is this true?

---check me out
http://www.youtube.com/orf

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Oct 26, 2014 at 9:40:36 pm

[Matt Orfalea] "Will an internal SSD be faster/slower/same speed as an external SSD with a SATA adapter attached to computer via thunderbolt? "

I would look for reviews on the SATA/TB bridges to try to get some real-world performance information. If they are SATA II instead of SATA III, they will be significantly slower.

Internal solid state storage on PCIe is faster than internal SATA III SSDs.

[Matt Orfalea] "I heard there is a limit to how much space the cache will take up on the cache drive. For ex: it will only fill 10% of drive, so if using 1TB SSD, cache size will never go over 100GB. Is this true?"

There is a preference that governs how much space (in GB) the disk cache can take. This defaults to 10% of the disk, but you can change it.

You will get a warning from Ae at startup if there is less space available than requested for the cache, and Ae will avoid filling the disk completely in this case.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

David Cabestany
on Nov 4, 2014 at 3:31:18 pm

[Walter Soyka] "[Matt Orfalea] "I heard there is a limit to how much space the cache will take up on the cache drive. For ex: it will only fill 10% of drive, so if using 1TB SSD, cache size will never go over 100GB. Is this true?"

There is a preference that governs how much space (in GB) the disk cache can take. This defaults to 10% of the disk, but you can change it.

You will get a warning from Ae at startup if there is less space available than requested for the cache, and Ae will avoid filling the disk completely in this case."

Is tha a Windows limitation or does that also happen on a Mac?
I recently added a Thunderbolt SSD drive with 247gb available and I first set up the cache size to 240gb, and I got the message about not having enough space, I lowered it to 220gb and got the same message.
When I clean the folder, there's at most 17gb of cache files in it.

If this setting affects Macs too, can you tell me how to change it?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Tiago Cav
on Sep 13, 2015 at 5:22:47 pm
Last Edited By Tiago Cav on Sep 13, 2015 at 5:27:06 pm

I have a SSD with system Windows 10 installed, and After Effects CC 2015.

• When I go to do a render, is more fast do this for the same Storage Device (SSD) in use, or use a external Storage Device (HD)?

• In the case of rendering to the same disk (HD), becomes slower as it is obliged to read and write in the same time. And with SSD that does not happen? Or should I export the video to an external storage device (HD) for a better speed?

• I use Ae in SSD; Import footage of storage device external (HD), is better?

Thanks.

Windows 10 Pro;
    After Effects CC 2015;

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
    on Sep 16, 2015 at 1:35:39 pm

[Tiago Cav] "When I go to do a render, is more fast do this for the same Storage Device (SSD) in use, or use a external Storage Device (HD)?"

Generally speaking, I think the read speed of your cache will have a much larger effect than the write speed of your render disk.

[Tiago Cav] "In the case of rendering to the same disk (HD), becomes slower as it is obliged to read and write in the same time. And with SSD that does not happen? Or should I export the video to an external storage device (HD) for a better speed?"

A mechanical HDD and a solid-state disk (SSD) work with totally different technologies. An HDD must move physical parts to read or write to different areas of the disk. An SSD can access any area randomly, without having to wait for the mechanical movement of a part.

It's much, much easier to saturate a mechanical HDD (flood it with so many I/O requests it cannot physically keep up, slowing everything else down), but it is still possible to saturate an SSD.

[Tiago Cav] "I use Ae in SSD; Import footage of storage device external (HD), is better?"

Test and see for yourself if you notice a difference -- just remember to clear the caches between tests so your results aren't incorrectly skewed.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Tiago Cav
    on Sep 16, 2015 at 2:25:20 pm
    Last Edited By Tiago Cav on Sep 16, 2015 at 2:38:21 pm

Yes! Very good! I understand. I make some tests.

I realized that actually reading is what matters most in rendering. After all, countless paintings will be read, among other data, for only then be summarized in a few MB recording, could be higher if you render in lossless then we'd GB of data exported, but still, I think the storage device does more reading than recording.

I did not see much difference if the footage is that Disk (SSD) or another (HD), as you said, the SSD has a technology that can read randomly, that's enough. And, is RAM memory responsible for loading the Footage, from what I saw the use of discs: in use with After Effects (SSD) is 0%, and the disk where was Footage (HD) is also 0%, since when importing this Footage, and when I preview, just see the Ram memory being full.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
    © 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
    [TOP]