ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

CC AE so.....slow.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Campbell
CC AE so.....slow.
on Oct 24, 2014 at 1:21:19 am

I tried posting this in the CC forum, but got no response, so my apologies for posting here.

I just installed CC AE on my '08 Mac Pro. Specs:
2x2.8Ghz Quad Core
10GB RAM
Original video card (Radeon HD 2600 XT)
I added a 1TB drive last night, to use as my project drive (so I could get projects off the system drive, which is 360GB, 75GB of which is free)

Anyway, I can't figure out why this thing is glacier slow. I'm messing around with a single still image taken from a Canon T5i (image size is a mere 4MB), and I can't even use the rubber stamp tool to paint some of the picture before it bogs. I do a few clicks with the stamp tool, and then the brush circle doesn't go away when I move the mouse away from the editing window. It makes selecting anything from the top menu bar impossible, since the mouse is still a big circle.

I followed the tips from Todd Kopriva's two articles about not starving your processors of RAM, and also not overscheduling your processors. No combination of RAM/Processors works.

Other than my browser being open so I can follow along with tutorials, nothing is open. My optimism is beginning to dim. I know this has been covered ad nauseum, but seriously, I've followed the suggestions. Any help gets you a haiku. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
Re: CC AE so.....slow.
on Oct 24, 2014 at 2:13:16 am

If you have set up a cache and it's on a slow drive, then that too could slow down your system performance. Try switching to other available drives to see if performance improves.

Related to this is if you have a cache that is filled up, that too disaffects system performance.

HTH
- Roland

TypeGEMs - the Definitive Type Gizmo for AE
http://broadcastgems.com/typegems/

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations
Adobe After Effects CC ACE/ACI
Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor

http://www.broadcastgems.com/mographintensity_shapestext/

Return to posts index

Paul Campbell
on Oct 24, 2014 at 12:28:06 pm

Since I just added that 1TB drive (it didn't replace my system drive, I just added it to keep my projects off the system drive), are you saying there's a setting in AE to redirect the cache to a different place? Seems like this new drive would do the trick.

I have a feeling I'm going to need to do an OS reinstall. This thing just seems pokey, I guess. Maybe it isn't just AE. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Oct 24, 2014 at 12:44:18 pm

[Paul Campbell] "are you saying there's a setting in AE to redirect the cache to a different place"

Go to Prefs>Media & Disk Cache. All that you need to do is there. It's a good idea to Empty Disk Cache before changing the folder location - this ensures that you do not have cache folders scattered everywhere.

HTH
- Roland

TypeGEMs - the Definitive Type Gizmo for AE
http://broadcastgems.com/typegems/

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations
Adobe After Effects CC ACE/ACI
Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor

http://www.broadcastgems.com/mographintensity_shapestext/

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 24, 2014 at 4:30:13 pm

I see one problem: the amount of memory. 10 gigs is a VERY weird configuration for a Mac.

It implies that memory sticks of different sizes are in your machine, and Mac OS's like them to be the same size. They tend to react in funny ways if they aren't, and your problem could stem from that.

My advice: ditch the 2 gig stick, and get the same kind of 8 gig stick -- same model, same manufacturer -- as you already have. 16 gigs is not a bad amount of memory for AE on a Mac.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Paul Campbell
on Oct 24, 2014 at 5:44:48 pm

Ah, Dave...and here I was thinking only pc's got bitchy when it came to RAM. You're correct, I was running the original 2GB up until a few months ago when I added 8GB to try speeding up my AE CS4 (before I learned that CS4 with a bunch of extra RAM really gave diminishing returns). I shall ditch that original 2GB like you said for now to see if that does the trick, and then double it to 16GB soon. Gracias!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]