ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How do I create a word animation as if text is rotating in a cube-like fashion

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aaron Robertson
How do I create a word animation as if text is rotating in a cube-like fashion
on Oct 23, 2014 at 8:28:47 pm

So I am still fairly new to after effects but I am picking it up rather quickly. Im working on a project though and i wanted to animate some text in a cube-like fashion so that a new word is appearing every time it rotates and eventually speeds up ... much like the example i linked to below... seen at 0:20

any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks,

Aaron

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
Re: How do I create a word animation as if text is rotating in a cube-like fashion
on Oct 23, 2014 at 11:49:50 pm

Multiple ways to this but here's one method. Create a layer of text, press "Y" to activate the anchor point tool, grab the anchor point and move it to the center of the text layer. Enable 3D for the layer. Press "A" to open up the anchor point and move the anchor about half the height of the layer(in my example I moved it to -50). Move forward 1 second, press "R" and set keyframe for "X Rotation", then move forward again for the duration you want your text to be visible and add another keyframe. Now move to the beginning of your timeline and set change the X Rotation to -90. Now move 1 second past your last keyframe and set a keyframe to +90.

Lastly add this expression to your opacity by pressing "T" then "alt+clicking" on the stopwatch:

if (toCompVec([0, 0, 1])[2] > 0 ) value else 0

That expression makes it so when your layer isn't facing the default camera, it's opacity goes to 0.

Then just duplicate the text, change it and offset each layer. Here's an example project demonstrating the technique: 8131_rotatingtext.aep.zip

Also, I would strongly suggest you check out: Getting started with After Effects (CS4, CS5, CS5.5, CS6, & CC)

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Aaron Robertson
Re: How do I create a word animation as if text is rotating in a cube-like fashion
on Oct 24, 2014 at 3:34:36 pm

Thank you John I greatly appreciate your help and the resources

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]