ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Triangular 3d background.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniels ButlersTriangular 3d background.
by on Oct 22, 2014 at 7:33:23 pm

Hello, as the title says I would like to know how this animated triangular 3d background on this video is made. It would be great if someone could link me to some tutorial which explains something close to this.

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Triangular 3d background.
by on Oct 22, 2014 at 8:40:50 pm

if you are asking about the falling tetrahedrons, it looks like they may have used cc particle world, with the particle type set to tetrahedron.

Kevin Camp
Art Director
KCPQ, KZJO & KRCW

Return to posts index

Richard GarabedainRe: Triangular 3d background.
by on Oct 23, 2014 at 7:03:25 am

because he said 3d animated i believe he is talking about the further background. I have seen it done before but I'm not quite sure how they do it. I believe it is a cloth simulation with rigid bodies and a low poly count. Thats is a 3d program. But that is only a guess. If someone can make it in after effects or even element 3d i would also love to know.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Triangular 3d background.
by on Oct 23, 2014 at 7:25:11 am

I'll have to give it a shot to see if it gets the same results, but FreeForm Pro can be used for something like that. Here's an example of a triangular surface done in FF Pro (it's distorted in a tunnel and a pretty bad compression, but you get the idea):

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Daniels ButlersRe: Triangular 3d background.
by on Oct 23, 2014 at 2:13:47 pm

No, I'm talking about the background animation. And yes, the falling particles are made in cc particle world.

And it doesn't quite seem like it's a cloth simulation, because it's transforming into other shapes not just moving.

I ran through FreeForm Pro effects and didn't quite find exactly what I was looking for so it must be some other plugin.

Return to posts index

Chris BobotisRe: Triangular 3d background.
by on Oct 23, 2014 at 2:58:17 pm

This looks like undulating (very slowly) cubes in a 3D app. Render finish looks like an ambient occlusion pass that was graded.

Tudor is right you can do something similar with FF pro via the 3D displacement mapping. The tricky part is to create the 3D displacement maps properly.

Better than FreeForm Pro, you can create a cube in Mettle's Shapeshifter AE and use the Generator to make instances of the cube... vary size, distribute and animate.. and use the new Delays in the Generator (new to version 1.6)for variance.

In all fairness, you can use Ae's Raytracer for this as well (if you have a qualified NVIDIA card on your system).

HTH

Cheers,
Chris
mettle.com

Cheers,
Chris
mettle.com

Return to posts index

ryan kellyRe: Triangular 3d background.
by on Oct 23, 2014 at 5:21:14 pm

I think you could also create something very similar using Trapcode Mir if you have it...

Return to posts index

Charlie LeroyRe: Triangular 3d background.
by on Oct 23, 2014 at 6:30:12 pm

It looks like multiple low poly planes with an animated noise on. (the planes will collide into each-other and give this "morph" feeling).
one plane would be just flat so it will cut out some of the distortions.
and as Chris B. say before, Ambiant Occlusion for the render.

making this with after might be doable with external plugins. as suggested, Im not sure you can do it without ( especially for the AO look).

Return to posts index

by on Oct 23, 2014 at 8:08:53 pm

Closest I got was by creating Cell Pattern and adding Shapeshifter Ae, but still it wasn't what I was looking for.

Return to posts index

by on Oct 23, 2014 at 8:30:12 pm

I would love to see your test. I still think creating a 3D shape (cube or polyhedron)and using the built in Generator might give better results.

Anyway, please post a link to your Cell pattern results. I am very curious.

Cheers,
Chris
mettle.com

Return to posts index

by on Oct 24, 2014 at 3:33:30 pm

I tried it myself, but I couldn't get past the lightning to make it more 3d so here is only the tutorial I found.
http://www.sternfx.com/tutorials/101

Return to posts index

by on Oct 25, 2014 at 2:21:36 am

Yes Eran did a fabulous job with this tutorial. I still think that ShapeShifter and the built-in Generator would get you closer to what you are trying to do.

Cheers,
Chris
mettle.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]