ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Video Grid Zoom Randomizer

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Valerie NeedhamVideo Grid Zoom Randomizer
by on Oct 21, 2014 at 10:35:14 pm

Hello all,
First off I'd like to thank you all for being so helpful whenever I'm in an editing bind. Y'all are the best!

Now, to my situation. I'm doing a video where in the end we have 1 person saying "thank you" to the camera, then it zooms out and we have 4 people to 16 people and so on and so forth. I have figured this part out, thanks in part to previous posts on this forum. However, I am not going to have the hundreds of videos of people saying "thank you" that I would like, so I'd like to reuse the same videos over multiple times and I'd like randomize the videos in the grid to try to avoid patterns that would give away this trick.

My question: Is there an After Effects plug in or trick that I can use to randomize the position of the videos in the grid?

I'm hoping to avoid doing it all piece by piece but if no easy way exists then I guess that's what I will do.

Thank you!

Return to posts index

George GoodmanRe: Video Grid Zoom Randomizer
by on Oct 22, 2014 at 2:11:25 pm

Im sure there is a better way, but off the top of my head ...

Let's just say you filled one comp with 3 videos, could be more. On each of those videos you would put the same expression on the position property. Something like this

if (index=1) p1
if (index=2) p2
if (index=3) p3

If you we're to use this, you are essentially defining the position of each individual video. So you would change x,y of p1 to the coordinates of the first video, then p2 with the second videos coordinated and so on and so forth until you have filled in the position of each video. The second part of the expression then takes the index of the videos (the order of it in the layer stack) and applies the position based on that.

So basically, after you setup your first comp, you could just duplicate it in the project panel a few times, then just rearrange the order of the layers however you want, and the videos would take on different positions. Then you could butt the different comps right up next to each other in a master comp.

"|_ (°_0) _|"

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved