ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Stabilizing Handheld Video in Post

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ron MooreStabilizing Handheld Video in Post
by on Oct 21, 2014 at 9:46:51 pm

Upon uploading my hour-long handheld concert video to YouTube and selecting the stabilizing option, I noticed the video smoothed out just fine but my lower thirds went bananas, and then it hit me. I should have done this operation before I added any graphics. So is it possible to run AE's Warp Stabilizer on the raw concert video, and then find a quick way to replace the original video with my processed one over in Premiere Pro cc without going back to the drawing board with an entirely new sequence?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Stabilizing Handheld Video in Post
by on Oct 21, 2014 at 11:09:00 pm

A little confused, here... you shot hand-held video, added lower-thirds to it in PP, and THEN you stabilized?

I'd stabilize the video first -- as you rightly guessed -- for use in a new timeline in PP, then copy & paste the lower-thirds from the old timeline to the new one.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Ron MooreRe: Stabilizing Handheld Video in Post
by on Oct 22, 2014 at 4:38:31 am

Thanks, Dave, for your reply. It only occurred to me to run the Warp Stabilizer after I'd already finished and posted the video. However, I've made several edits on the video and the timeline is now made up of many clips during its hour duration, so I'm not quite sure how I can use the stabilized version of the video in a new timeline, then copy & paste the lower thirds into that new timeline (since the edited clips reference the original raw video). Maybe I'm just a little dense.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Stabilizing Handheld Video in Post
by on Oct 22, 2014 at 10:51:29 am

Apply the Warp Stabilizer to each clip individually, underneath the graphics.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

JP PelcRe: Stabilizing Handheld Video in Post
by on Oct 22, 2014 at 4:51:54 pm

^Walter's suggestion is best. Otherwise if it is one long clip, you could stabilize in AE, render it out and then in Premiere right click the original clip, click "Replace footage," and choose the stabilized footage. This will retain all your cuts in the timeline.

Return to posts index

Ron MooreRe: Stabilizing Handheld Video in Post
by on Oct 22, 2014 at 7:31:25 pm

Thanks for everyone's great suggestions! They will save me a ton of editing time.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]