ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

New iMac (oct 2014) vs new Mac Pro

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ryan searsNew iMac (oct 2014) vs new Mac Pro
by on Oct 21, 2014 at 8:07:35 pm

I know this discussion has happened time and time again, but being that a new iMac came out I thought I would ask the group (and hopefully Todd) this question again. Todd, I know last January you gave a hint as to where you stood on Clock Speed vs. Cores. Well, we are approaching that year milestone and I am in desperate need for some new machines at my place. I know the new update for after effects has just come out, but I dont think(?) this was the speed update you were referring to. So as of now, we have these new iMacs with a quad-core "turbo boost" speed up to 4.4 Ghz but maxing out the RAM at 32 gb or the Mac pro with 12 cores at 2.7 Ghz and 64 gb. I don't want to choose one and then a few months later wish I went the other direction. I've been on PCs now for the last 2 years because Apple was slacking on the update to their professional machines, they are beasts but seem to be slowing down and always wanted to replace them when/if apple decided to update their pro line. Any suggestions?

In addition to this, I am looking to update my network storage solution. I am currently networked through 8 Gig Fibre and wondering if its worth looking into getting a new system with 10 Gig Ethernet. Is that going to increase my performance, or is it a performance I wouldn't really notice?

And congratulations on the new job Todd. Hope you can help.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved