ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

To Davinci and Back a VFX Workflow

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben ThompsonTo Davinci and Back a VFX Workflow
by on Oct 21, 2014 at 6:48:29 am

Hey everyone,
Recently I've been doing some experimenting with different elements of a VFX intigrated workflow. Being new to the process I originally assumed I could make an easy round trip from cinema raw dng files and back in just a few short steps. Here was my process using the BMCC camera Raw Files:
1. I proxied all my files into DNxHD 1080p 10bit files under the Final Cut XML Round trip setting.
2. I imported my proxies into Premire Pro where I locked my final edit for VFX.
3. I linked my VFX shots using the Replace with AfterEffects composition option.
And this is where I came to a stand still in my pipeline. Where do I go from here? Having finished all my VFX shots am I now able to export an XML file with the linked AfterEffects compositions and all, completing the trip back into Resolve where I can now grade my final product?

Is there a better method or have I messed up this process beyond salvage? My goal is to to have a quick workflow that allows full control of a raw grade while maintaining visual quality throughout my entire process.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: To Davinci and Back a VFX Workflow
by on Oct 21, 2014 at 6:00:56 pm

I'm not sure which version of Ae and Pr you are using, but you will almost certainly want to render and replace [link] the Ae comps in Pr before sending them off to Resolve.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved