ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Virtual Sets With Actors

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gabriel MooreVirtual Sets With Actors
by on Oct 21, 2014 at 2:14:35 am

I am looking to create or have someone create some virtual sets, using 3d max or something similar.

I am familiar with green screen motion tracking with After Effects, but I am looking more into learning about how to utilize a 360 view of some sort rather then a solid 2d background.

I am still a beginner when it comes to the millions of things you can do with After Effects and am not afraid to sub some of those processes out, such as VFX. But, being a film maker, I would like to have complete control over the environment and how it plays against my shots.

Can someone direct me to where I could start learning about this process.

This is where I am at with motion tracking. Any suggestions or leads to better understanding would be extremely helpful.

Return to posts index

JP PelcRe: Virtual Sets With Actors
by on Oct 21, 2014 at 8:50:20 pm

[Gabriel Moore] "I am looking more into learning about how to utilize a 360 view of some sort rather then a solid 2d background."

By this do you mean you want elements of your virtual set to be in front of your subject(s)? If your virtual set is created in Cinema4D, you can use After Effect's camera tracker to create a virtual camera within AE that should match the footage movement pretty closely. Then by using Cineware you can import the C4D scene into AE, and place your subject where you would like in the scene. Then the scene will move with the virtual camera and therefore (ideally) your subject

Return to posts index

Doyle LewisRe: Virtual Sets With Actors
by on Oct 24, 2014 at 7:06:02 pm

Correct me if I am wrong but I believe you are talking about spherical panoramas. like this:

You can take these and in a 3d software wrap them as a texture onto a sphere. For the most Part I have seen HDRI versions of them used as a GI lighting on an object in 3d scenes later used to be composted back onto a flat background, but there is no real reason that you could not use the sphere as a background to then move around in. The only immediate downside I could see to that is that you would not have correct paralaxing in your background so once you start orbiting around your scene it could break the illusion of your composite, unless everything in it is meant to appear far away. (e.g.: a plane in the sky could probably use this effect because everything else is so far away it would probably seem to paralax together) I believe there are ways to do this in AE although I am not extremely familiar with them. I do know though that AE's raytracing options allow for you to use them as well as Video copilot's element 3D.

Hope that Helps,
Doyle Lewis

Doyle Lewis, Assistant Videographer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved