ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

3D shape layer with continuous rasterization - layer modes

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
bart stevens3D shape layer with continuous rasterization - layer modes
by on Oct 21, 2014 at 12:37:08 am

I have a pre-comp made of shape layers (all set as 3d and continuous rasterization on)
I've used this pre-comp as a 3D layer in a new comp.
I want to utilize the multiply blending mode for this layer, so I only see the black outline.
This worked okay initially, but when I try to substitute this layer with another pre-comp, I don't get the layer style anymore.
These files are nearly identical, (made up of 3D continuously rasterized shape layers), but I lose the multiply layer style when I (alt-drag and drop the layer in)
Is there a special sequence to maintaining the layer style with 3D and continuous rasterize marked?
I've attached a few images that hopefully "illustrate" what I'm trying to communicate.
Thanks for the help...

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: 3D shape layer with continuous rasterization - layer modes
by on Oct 21, 2014 at 4:38:54 pm

Bart, first I want to make sure I understand your terminology. I think you are saying "layer style" when you mean "blend mode." Layer styles are effects applied to the layer at the end of its render pipeline and include drop shadow, gradient overlay, stroke, etc. (These also break 3D interaction between layers as they require rasterizing the layer to 2D.) Blend modes determine how overlapping layers are mixed together, and include normal, add, multiply, etc.

The switch you're referring to is correctly called "continuous rasterization" for vector layers, but it's called "collapse transformations" for composition layers. The ultimate effect of preserving resolution is similar, but they way they go about it are different.

I like to think of collapsing transformations for a composition as pulling the layers inside of the precomp into the main comp for rendering.

You can't set the blend mode as a whole for a composition layer with collapse transformations on, so you'd have to either step into the precomp and change the blend modes of the individual shapes, or switch collapse transformations off to rasterize the precomp layer and allow it to blend as one whole.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

bart stevensRe: 3D shape layer with continuous rasterization - layer modes
by on Oct 21, 2014 at 6:01:32 pm

Thanks for the feedback Walter.
Yes, you are correct. I meant to communicate "blending mode", my mistake.
Setting my blending mode in the pre-comp did the trick.
Thanks for sharing your expertise

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved