ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Correcting Cinemascope Without Fully Stretching the Format

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hayden Martin
Correcting Cinemascope Without Fully Stretching the Format
on Oct 20, 2014 at 11:55:38 pm

Hi

Is there any way to take 2:35:1 footage into after effects and warp it so it fits a regular 16:9 aspect ratio?

The problem I am facing is that there is quite a spherical object that I can't have warping, but it's central enough to warp the further out areas of the Cinemascope...

You see a similar effect being used to refit 4:3 into 16:9 on most HDTVs... This works horizontally though... So how would I go about doing it vertically?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Jim Arco
Re: Correcting Cinemascope Without Fully Stretching the Format
on Oct 21, 2014 at 12:31:17 pm

There is no way to "warp" the footage that will look correct.

Fitting 4:3 aspect ratio into 16:9 is done by centering the image in the frame and adding black bars to each side, or by scaling the image beyond the frame and cropping the top and bottom of the 4:3 to see the central part of the original image.

To fit 2:35.1 into 16:9 aspect, you could invert the strategy and add black bars to the top and bottom, or scale the image and crop off the sides.

Jim

Return to posts index

Hayden Martin
on Oct 21, 2014 at 2:21:22 pm

Yes, Chris

That is what I want to do

Luckily my footage is primarily shot on 10mm & 15mm lenses so distortion will go largely unnoticed.

Return to posts index

Jim Arco
on Oct 21, 2014 at 3:09:04 pm

Well, if distortion is acceptable....

Mesh warp is one way to do it. Set up a 2:35.1 comp with your footage, add mesh warp, then drag individual points on right and left side out to the edge of the frame. You may want to slightly spread them vertically to give a more spherical image.

You're almost tripling the width of your image, so you could also experiment combining mesh warp overlayed on top of an enlarged and blurred copy of your footage.

Jim

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Oct 21, 2014 at 6:29:04 pm

I published an AEP to do a non-linear stretch from 4:3 to 16:9 a while ago, which you may be able to adapt to your needs:

http://www.keenlive.com/renderbreak/2013/06/non-linear-stretch-43-to-169-in...

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 21, 2014 at 6:31:13 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Oct 21, 2014 at 6:31:59 pm

There are two ways to do this:

Add the footage to a 16x9 comp, leaving black bars at the top & bottom. This is called letterboxing, and you don't like it.

Scale the widescreen footage so that it fits top-to-bottom in a 16x9 comp. You may find that you must animate the horizontal position of the footage to accommodate key action in the footage.

This is notheing new. It happened all the time when people started using 16x9 footage in 4x3 comps. The same principles apply.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]