ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Importing PSD vs PNG files

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrius KellImporting PSD vs PNG files
by on Oct 20, 2014 at 6:20:37 pm

I'm animating a very large, multi-layered PSD in After Effects. It's currently all imported directly from the PSD file (as footage). I was wondering if it would be less of a load on my computer's memory if I just saved every layer as a PNG and imported them to After Effects then. It would be a little more work upfront for me, but I'm wondering if doing so will save time in playback loading times.

So does anyone know if there's a difference in size and how the program reads these files? Or if there are any alternatives that would increase efficiency?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Importing PSD vs PNG files
by on Oct 20, 2014 at 9:26:29 pm

You can relax on this topic: there are NO great advantages one way or the other as far as AE is concerned. It's like asking which brand of gasoline gives your car better mileage.

What's faster and more convenient for you? That should be your concern.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

bart stevensRe: Importing PSD vs PNG files
by on Oct 21, 2014 at 12:45:58 am

I've had some similar experience with using really large "for print" files, and always try to keep my sub-comps to only the needed resolution.
For example if I had a 12000x7000 pixel .psd file, and I only needed to use a 600x600 area of that image, I would make sure my sub-comp is only at that needed resolution.
Import composition "retain layer sizes" is nice feature to break apart a large .psd files. and have each element with its own center.
Hopefully that helps.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved