ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Tracking Across Two Seperate Points

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tommy BrownTracking Across Two Seperate Points
by on Oct 20, 2014 at 1:06:37 pm

Hi All

I am super frustrated. I am trying to do a motion track in AE CC only using position (not using scale or perspective) to make some straight titles pop up over a spread of ingredients on a kitchen countertop. Its a camera pan from left to right but there is not one object/point that covers the entire move.

So I have tried a few things:
- 3D Camera track, tracks X,Y & Z, just want titles in 2D space straight onto camera. Have tried using a null but the titles are all behaving differently on their axis.
- Motion Track, target a null object, but need to track two different points on either side of the halfway mark. Coping and pasting the keyframes under position or only under track 1 does not work.
- Mocha AE, same problem as above, need to combine the information from two tracks.

Any help would be appreciated.

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Tracking Across Two Seperate Points
by on Oct 20, 2014 at 1:20:21 pm

try motion tracking the first point and apply the track to a null, then create a second null, parent the first null to the new null, track the second point and apply that data to the second null.

now the first null should continue moving after it's position data stops since it will be parented to the second null, which should start moving at that point...

there is a tutorial on for set extensions (search for those terms) that shows this procedure... probably better than i can explain it in writing.

Kevin Camp
Art Director

Return to posts index

Ross ShainRe: Tracking Across Two Seperate Points
by on Oct 20, 2014 at 6:12:55 pm

If the objects that you are tracking are moving on the same relative plane, this is quite easy for mocha AE.

Track your object in mocha AE, right before it goes offscreen, stop the track and move your search area to another object that is moving on the same plane. Continue the track.

Or you could use the X+ button and draw a 2nd shape on the other object.

Hope this helps. Mocha AE is designed to handle complex tracking, so it is quite possible that you do not need to "average" tracks to accomplish your goal.

You can find lots of mocha AE tutorials and I recommend starting with these:

Ross Shain
Imagineer Systems

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved