ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Parenting xy position of object to a null causes it to snap to the location of the null

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
shaun rexroat
Parenting xy position of object to a null causes it to snap to the location of the null
on Oct 19, 2014 at 2:10:19 am

I have a Element 3D object with a xy parameter that I'm trying to parent to my null, but it causes the position to change as soon as I parent it. I only want the position to change when I modify my null's position.

Anyone know how to fix this? Thanks!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Parenting xy position of object to a null causes it to snap to the location of the null
on Oct 19, 2014 at 4:18:07 pm

I think you may be confused. Are you parenting, or using a position expression? Big difference.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

shaun rexroat
Re: Parenting xy position of object to a null causes it to snap to the location of the null
on Oct 19, 2014 at 5:54:00 pm

I think I meant position expression. I alt+click the stopwatch for the position, and then pickwip my target null.

Return to posts index

Daniel Waldron
on Oct 19, 2014 at 9:09:21 pm

Pick whip the entire layer, not just the position.

Return to posts index

shaun rexroat
on Oct 20, 2014 at 3:11:48 am

I'm dealing with a layer that has an object within the layer which has its own position, separate from the layer position. When i pickwip the entire layer, moving my null causes the entire layer to move, rather than just the object.

Return to posts index

Brian Charles
on Oct 20, 2014 at 4:14:26 am
Last Edited By Brian Charles on Oct 20, 2014 at 4:15:40 am

Are you referring to a Group Null generated and linked from within Element or one created from the After Effects Layer >New > Null Object?

Return to posts index

shaun rexroat
on Oct 20, 2014 at 9:13:04 am

I wasn't, but now I see where I went wrong. I was using the null object created from the After Effects Layer >New > Null Object.

I feel dumb not thinking of using the group null object. Thanks so much for showing me!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]