ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Doubts about Pixel Ratio for a TV Spot + best images resolution

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
João Queirós
Doubts about Pixel Ratio for a TV Spot + best images resolution
on Oct 17, 2014 at 10:16:06 am

Hi guys,

I´m doing the illustration for a animation for a tv spot. I´ve the resolution for it 720x576. Then i was doing a quick test in AE, and was trying to choose the pixel ratio, but i´ve doubts. Please check the pdf with the information required from the tv chanel.

http://www.mediafire.com/view/om2kr54j6ks1ps9/Omneon_format_Nov_2010.pdf

Should i choose in the preset "PAL D1/DV Square Pixel"? if yes what should i choose in pixel aspect ratio? I can´t find this aspect ratio from the pdf "Display aspect ratio: Original (4X3 or 16X9)". Even chosing this "PAL D1/DV Square Pixel" i´ve to change manually the resolution, because the one by default is 788x576.

I´m afraid i´m doing something wrong here, that´s why i´m asking for your help guys.

By the way, i will do 2D animation, mixed with stop motion. What should be best size for my images? Save them as PNG should be fine right?

Thanks in advance.

Kindly Regards,
João

---------------------------------------
http://www.joaoqueiros.com/uk_index.php

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Re: Doubts about Pixel Ratio for a TV Spot + best images resolution
on Oct 17, 2014 at 10:43:56 am

The PAL format has the following format sizes when you use square pixel:
4:3 = 768×576
16:9 = 1024x576 ( Adobe has decided 1050x576 is the "true" size )

The question to ask is how will this be seen by most viewers - in a 4:3 frame (older tv sets), a stretched 4:3 to a 16:9 (new 16:9 tv sets). Depending on that you can use the 4:3 or 16:9 square pixel format to create your animation. The final result will be squeezed in a 720x576 frame anyway it seems from the station's specs. So ask them if they recommend the 4:3 or widescreen based on their research.

What I recommend is to use a 1280x720 square pixel (16:9) frame to create you animation. Once you have a final render, create a PAL SD comp, drag your finished render in it and resize to fit the Height of the frame. Then, based on the final decision - 4:3 or 16:9 - leave the frame cropped for 4:3 or squeeze (resize) the width to fit the 720.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 17, 2014 at 4:57:45 pm

I agree with Ted. The first thing to do is to find out if you have to make 4x3 or 16x9 video.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

João Queirós
on Oct 17, 2014 at 5:14:08 pm

Thanks Dave. Yes agree.

Return to posts index

João Queirós
on Oct 17, 2014 at 5:11:51 pm

Hi Jelescu,

Thanks you so much for your quick reply. This is the 1st time i´m doing animation for TV, that´s why i´ve many doubts, and i want to be sure what i´m doing.

This will be used in european tv, it´s for a kids tv chanel, i believe it is this option "a stretched 4:3 to a 16:9 (new 16:9 tv sets)"

Yes your recomendations looks really good. I will try to call them to understaind all this. Because if i use the 1280x720 square pixel (16:9), i will need to adapt my illustrations scenario that i was doing in 720x576.

Can you tell me the name of the preset in the "Composition Settings" to create the PAL SD comp? And.. if i resize the height of the 1280x720 frame to 720x576 this will not unformat Jelescu?

I will let you know when i have some answer from them. Thanks again.

Kindly Regards,
João

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Oct 20, 2014 at 7:24:32 am

Ted would do just fine- only my grammar school teacher called me by my last name.
Working in 1280x720 will allow you to get a good quality final product. The trick is to figure out the final format of the frame- 4:3 or 16:9 so that you can arrange your graphic elements. You can always be safe and work with 4:3 in mind.
For output presets from AE you can check out the Adobe help.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

João Queirós
on Oct 27, 2014 at 10:40:26 pm

Ha ha, Sure Ted : )

The final format is 4:3. I´m working 720x576 because in the channel they ask me to do it. But i think your way is better Ted working first 1280x720 because of the quality and in the end adapt the resolution to 4:3. Thank you so much for the sharing Ted.

About the preset the one that i´m working is PAL D1/DV Square Pixel.

thank you guys.

Kindly Regards,
João Queirós

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]