ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Game of Thrones Shadow Demon Monster Thing

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Benjamin BrownGame of Thrones Shadow Demon Monster Thing
by on Oct 16, 2014 at 6:13:13 pm

Im trying to figure out how the shadow monster thing from Game of Thrones was done. I have some ideas but Im not sure. If anyone has any insight, please let me know. You can see it here in the link below. Thank you!

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Game of Thrones Shadow Demon Monster Thing
by on Oct 16, 2014 at 6:48:54 pm

videocopilot.net has a 'portal' tutorial that you could adapt to do something similar... you'd only need to part that describes making the portal.

i think you'd just want to shoot with an actor as the shadow figure, then roto a mask around that actor to use as the 'portal' shape in the tutorial and pick it up from there.

his tutorial doesn't show how to make the smokelet, but you could look for tutorials on creating smoke.

if you have trapcode's particular you could use the roto'd shape as an emitter and then use a procedure similar to mike park's 'catching fire' tutorial on redgiant.com to create an organic smokey particle system.

Kevin Camp
Art Director
KCPQ, KZJO & KRCW

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Game of Thrones Shadow Demon Monster Thing
by on Oct 17, 2014 at 11:21:01 am

A combination of 3d displacement and particles will do the job just fine.
For particles I recommend Trapcode Form or Particular from Red Giant. There's quite a few tutorials that provide techniques to create the smoke or fire:
http://www.redgiant.com/videos/redgianttv/item/263/

The 3d face and sword shape can be created using Mellte's FreeForm Pro. This tutorial can provide a great start:

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Benjamin BrownRe: Game of Thrones Shadow Demon Monster Thing
by on Oct 17, 2014 at 4:10:45 pm

I think I need to clarify- Im well aware of all of these tools. Does anyone know a specific technique for creating the shadow monster?

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Game of Thrones Shadow Demon Monster Thing
by on Oct 20, 2014 at 7:28:48 am

In the tutorial for FreeForm Pro you get a pretty good description on how to create a 3d shape of a skull moving- that can be applied to create the face, hands, sword. The rest would be combining the particles as a texture with the displacement. This should provide you with all you need for the task you want to accomplish. Next step would be to pay someone to make it for you...

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]