ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Neon light effects/ James Turell worthy

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bur CiNeon light effects/ James Turell worthy
by on Oct 15, 2014 at 5:43:14 pm

Howdy all,

So for all of those familiar with the works of James Turell, or those who are not, I'd like to ask for some help. Given, the fact that Turell's latest lighting installation was made out of hundred of LED lights and controlled by certain software I'd like to know whether a similar effect can be pulled off in After Effects.

The goal of this undertaking is simple. To have a palette of colors that change from one color to other in a seamless and fluid fashion as you will see in the video that I have linked. ( It's less than a minute long :)

what I'd like to know how to pull off an effect like this, specifically have that neon glow that Turell seems to pull of here ( I know he's working with LED's and emit a different light) . As I am no AE pro i'd appreciate any, if any, feedback to this problem.

All I can think of now is layering the colors on top off one another, using blend modes to go from one to the other.

Return to posts index

Chris OlsenRe: Neon light effects/ James Turell worthy
by on Oct 15, 2014 at 9:31:58 pm

A couple ways to do this spring to mind. One would be using C4D to affix a light source to an object (to achieve that 'glow') and animate its color value. Also, Video Copilot recently released a free plugin called Color Vibrance, which you could combine with a pretty soft Glow effect to copy that, too. Either way, I think you'll want to animate the color value, maybe with colorization from the Hue/Saturation effect?

Return to posts index

Bur CiRe: Neon light effects/ James Turell worthy
by on Oct 23, 2014 at 11:22:08 am

Chris thanks for the prompt reply! Ok, I will take a look at the plug-in and so where it goes from there. Yes, hue-saturation is the area I need to explore

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved