ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Adding a +/- value to a tracking expression

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael RoyAdding a +/- value to a tracking expression
by on Oct 15, 2014 at 5:15:26 pm

Hi, I actually tried to tack this onto an old post I made as I thought it would bump back to the top of the list, but it didn't (I'm not a regular poster here...).

Anyway, I'm a bit of an AE beginner/idiot but have succeeded in animating a clone stamp to cover up a problem area in something I filmed. I did this by tracking the area in the footage, then copying the tracking keyframes to the clone stamp position, so that the stamp moved in line with the problem area.

The trouble was that the clone stamp source remained static, but with some advice from this forum I learned how to add a + value to the track position expression and copy that to the clone position. This meant I had a way of offsetting the tracked position.

My problem is that whilst I am able to offset the position horizontally by adding a + or - value to the expression, I've no idea how to offset it vertically... Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Adding a +/- value to a tracking expression
by on Oct 16, 2014 at 11:39:44 am

Place the x/y coordinates you require within brackets []. An example -

will shift along x by 50 pixels AND along y by -25 pixels.

This of course requires that the offset is a fixed value. If the offset changes during the sequence, you'll want to link the + to an Expression Point Control; which you can then keyframe.

- Roland

TypeGEMs - the Definitive Type Gizmo for AE

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations
Adobe After Effects CC ACE/ACI
Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved