ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How to animate a line path from a particular point on that path.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hayley WarrenHow to animate a line path from a particular point on that path.
by on Oct 15, 2014 at 11:15:47 am

I've done lots of searching but can't find the answer I need.

I have a line path on a shape layer, which I want to animate out along that path from 0% to 100%, starting from a particular point on that path (or the centre).

The effect I want is similar to using the 'Trim Paths' expression where the line animates out over time, but instead of using the start and end point, I want to radiate from a particular point. Is this possible? What tool is best for this?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: How to animate a line path from a particular point on that path.
by on Oct 15, 2014 at 12:30:50 pm

Use the masks or split the path in two at the point you need the animation to start, have two paths and animate them individually giving thus the impression that the animation starts from the middle towards both ends.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Hayley WarrenRe: How to animate a line path from a particular point on that path.
by on Oct 15, 2014 at 3:01:24 pm

Thanks so much! Splitting in two will work nicely

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: How to animate a line path from a particular point on that path.
by on Oct 15, 2014 at 3:34:09 pm

[Hayley Warren] "The effect I want is similar to using the 'Trim Paths' expression where the line animates out over time, but instead of using the start and end point, I want to radiate from a particular point."

How about animating the start and the end together? Start them both at 50% (for example) and animate Start down to 0% while simultaneously animating End up to 100%?

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: How to animate a line path from a particular point on that path.
by on Oct 16, 2014 at 6:13:14 am

Darn! I hate when I miss the obvious ;)

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]