ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How to raise your game with transition effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David HonanHow to raise your game with transition effects
by on Oct 14, 2014 at 2:00:42 pm

Hi from still wet cold & windy York UK,

I want to raise my game in terms of transition effects and came across a cluster of transition effects in this clip:

Now if i want to graduate beyond dip to white transitions etc and move towards using particle playground and lense flare transitions where would be a good resource to work through some tutorials? ( I am a Lynda.com member)

Any advice welcome :-)

Return to posts index

David HonanRe: How to raise your game with transition effects
by on Oct 14, 2014 at 4:39:26 pm

P.s.. Like these light transition fx here http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x15kdkg_15-massive-light-transitions-pack-... but is it the case you normally have to buy these as additional plugins?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: How to raise your game with transition effects
by on Oct 14, 2014 at 7:44:07 pm

Transitions aren't "one-size-fits-all" things. How does the transition you have in mind work with everything you've edited so far?
There was a person who obsessed about transitions at my former workplace: the cooler the transition, the better... never mind if it fit aesthically or not.

From start to finish, she lasted about 6 months. It wasn't just about the transitions... but it WAS about focusing on the wrong thing in a project. Taking one's eye off the ball.

Catch my drift?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Todd VanSlyckRe: How to raise your game with transition effects
by on Oct 14, 2014 at 8:17:05 pm

I'll echo Dave and say use transitions sparingly.
Content is king!
But they are nice sometimes. I use the filmimpact.net transitions. They are pretty useful.
I'm not sure if BorisFX is still in the transition game, but they used to have a bunch like what you are describing.

You could also try using some practical footage, like bokeh, or light leaks to make your transitions. Drop it on a layer above your two clips and do a quick fade up/down.
Looks less "transition-ey" if that makes sense

TVS

Dell T76000 Dual 8-core 2.4 GHz
NVIDIA Quadro 2000
NVIDIA Tesla c2075
Adobe Premiere Pro CC
After Effects CC
Cinema 4d r14

Return to posts index

David HonanRe: How to raise your game with transition effects
by on Oct 15, 2014 at 9:10:22 am

Thanks Todd, your post has began my education. When your a rookie you see things you like but you dont know the names and if you dont know the names you cant research the "How to" tutorials

Grazie mille :-)

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: How to raise your game with transition effects
by on Oct 15, 2014 at 11:29:42 am

To add to what has already been said, your transition need to add and not distract from your content, to help and not to break the flow of the story (unless your story needs to break). I would start with the basic presets from After Effects - there's a bunch in there that are quick and easy to apply and use (as well as in Premiere). The trick is to take a preset and start tweaking it to make it look different. Adding other elements like blurs, glows, lens flares, grain and so on can improve the look of a transition. Of course all those things can be used in themselves to create transitions. Card Wipe and Card Dance can provide some interesting 3d transitions.
But, as I said in the beginning, transitions need to be integrated in the overall concept of your piece.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]