ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

CUDA Error

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anand Bhutkar
CUDA Error
on Oct 12, 2014 at 7:30:18 am

Hi

I am using AF CC 2014 on mac. When I am using Ray trace this error is coming.
"Ray-Traced 3D: Out of paged mapped memory for ray tracer. Your project may exceed GPU limits."

Here are a few details about my system :

iMac, 27-inch, Late 2009.

Processor 2.66 GHz Intel Core i5

Memory 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

Graphics ATI Radeon HD 4850 512 MB

And about After effect stuff

I am working in 1280 X 720 (half HD) comp size 25fps

I want to convert simple text into 3D text for logo animation.

Please guide me where I go wrong

Thanks in Advance.

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
Re: CUDA Error
on Oct 12, 2014 at 8:20:28 am

Ray traced renderer only supports Nvidia GPUs.

Return to posts index

Brian Charles
on Oct 12, 2014 at 3:16:03 pm

[Tero Ahlfors] "Ray traced renderer only supports Nvidia GPUs."

That's not entirely correct. CUDA on Nvidia cards can accelerate Ray Traced 3D in After Effects but the Ray Traced render engine can use the CPU.

The error message is likely due to the lack of RAM on the video card. 512 MB is not much these days when you can get 4 GB or more on many cards.

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Oct 12, 2014 at 4:17:14 pm

1 GB is the bare minimum amount of VRAM to use the ray-traced 3D renderer.

You didn't install a CUDA driver on a machine with only an ATI card, did you?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Anand Bhutkar
on Oct 13, 2014 at 6:17:28 am

Thanks Todd for reply.

Yes, I understand I have ATI Radeon,

Adobe recommends this driver...

But how do I solve this issue then.. :(

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Oct 13, 2014 at 7:05:56 am

> Adobe recommends this driver...

No, we don't. Not for ATI cards.

CUDA drivers are for cards with CUDA hardware, which is only Nvidia cards. By installing a CUDA driver on a system without CUDA hardware, you cause problems.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

Anand Bhutkar
on Oct 13, 2014 at 7:15:32 am

:( So is there any way you suggest to use 3D ray-trace on my system?

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Oct 13, 2014 at 9:37:02 am

[Anand Bhutkar] "So is there any way you suggest to use 3D ray-trace on my system?"

As Brian mentioned, the ray-tracing renderer does not require a GPU. Uninstall those CUDA drivers that were never intended for your graphics card and the ray-tracing renderer will work (slowly) on your CPU.

If you are looking to extrude text in 3D, you might also consider using some OpenGL-based third-party plugins like Boris FX's 3D Objects Continuum Unit, Mettle's ShapeShifter AE, Video Copilot's Element 3D, or Zaxwerks Invigorator. These do not require CUDA but they do have certain other GPU requirements, so be sure to read the system requirements to ensure your video card will work.

Since you have Ae CC 2014, you also have Maxon CINEMA 4D LITE; you could use this for text extrusion, too.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

brent ashdown
on May 20, 2015 at 1:04:34 pm

Hi there.

I too have ATI Radeon HD card, although it is a 4870. I have had the same after effects error message. I've read though, that ditching the CUDA drivers will cause problems with other Adobe software, i.e. Premiere. Is this the case? If so, what are Adobe doing to address this issue?

Brent

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on May 20, 2015 at 4:58:00 pm

[brent ashdown] "I too have ATI Radeon HD card, although it is a 4870. I have had the same after effects error message. I've read though, that ditching the CUDA drivers will cause problems with other Adobe software, i.e. Premiere. Is this the case? If so, what are Adobe doing to address this issue?"

That's incorrect. You shouldn't install the CUDA drivers unless you have a CUDA-capable card, and as it's proprietary to NVIDIA, no ATI/AMD card should have the CUDA drivers installed. Removing the drivers will not cause any issues with Premiere.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Jamie Rees
on Apr 27, 2017 at 12:16:05 pm

Hey,

I have this exact same problem, when my after effects started running slow it suggested installing cuda, what I didn't realise is that that message only applied to computers with an Nvidia GPU. Once it came up with this message I knew I had done something wrong so I proceeded to place all cuda related files in the trash. when this didn't work I decided to delete and reinstall After effects (I was running on 2015 and was going to update to 2017 soon anyway). The installer I use is now saying that it can't resolve all dependencies. I have a MacBook Air early 2015 with 4 GB of memory, thanks in advance for any help.

Return to posts index

Simon Piniel
on May 7, 2015 at 12:21:41 am

I got myself into the same situation today. I do find the default AE dialog telling you to update CUDA drivers very misleading. It seems they should be able to run a script to check on the hardware beforehand. And most of the time having a driver around for a non existing hardware doesn't lead to problems.

This helped me uninstall CUDA:
https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/kb/paged-mapped-memory-error.html

Mind you you need to turn on seeing invisible stuff in the finder to access all directories, and restart your machine afterwards. Good luck!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]