ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Does the After Effects Camera do View Frustum Culling?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Felix GeenDoes the After Effects Camera do View Frustum Culling?
by on Oct 10, 2014 at 9:23:24 am

I've looked all over for a post about this and I can't find any answer. I am curious as to whether the camera in After Effects culls layers outside of it's view frustum, like this: http://www.lighthouse3d.com/tutorials/view-frustum-culling/. I ask because if it does do view frustum culling then it is pointless going through my project and trimming my layers to be the exact length that they are within the camera's field of view to speed up performance and render time. I am currently working on a project where my camera pans slowly across many photographs and I spend my time trimming the layers when they are not visible by the camera which I believe saves time on rendering and processing, however, it takes me a long time to do manually. I know that every game engine does this to save resources, it would be a shame if after effects didnt do it. But does anyone actually know?

Cheers,
Felix

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Does the After Effects Camera do View Frustum Culling?
by on Oct 10, 2014 at 12:32:46 pm

Ae does not spend CPU resources rendering layers outside of the viewport. See attached test AEP: 8091_cullingtest.aep.zip

However, I don't know for sure if layer extents on the timeline affect how the RAM cache is managed.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]