ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Is it a good idead to empty the cache once ina while?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Honan
Is it a good idead to empty the cache once ina while?
on Oct 9, 2014 at 10:11:37 am

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc53/zymurgy_bucket/empty-cache-after-fx...

Hi from medieval York UK :-)

The above link illustrates my query but here goes... New to Ae I'm beginning to learn preview / rendering etc thumps your RAM and some housekeeping is needed once in a while to keeps things smooth.

So am i right in thinking clearing the Ae version CC cache once in a while is a good idea? Is there a trade off?

Thanks in advance,
David

[MY SYSTEM]

iMac late 2012 21.5 inch
Processor 2.9 GHz Intel Core i5
Memory 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 512 MB
Software OS X 10.9.5 (13F34)

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Is it a good idead to empty the cache once ina while?
on Oct 9, 2014 at 1:10:33 pm

[David Honan] "So am i right in thinking clearing the Ae version CC cache once in a while is a good idea? Is there a trade off?"

There's no need to do this for housekeeping's sake; Ae will automatically prune the cache when it needs space, and the cache sitting on the disk won't negatively affect performance.

If you do empty the disk cache, you lose the advantage of the disk cache which persists across sessions. Your renders and RAM previews may slow down if Ae has to re-render things it had already previously rendered and cached (but you deleted).

The only time I empty my disk cache is if there's some kind of problematic frame that's been incorrectly cached (like a text layer with a missing font).

[David Honan] "New to Ae I'm beginning to learn preview / rendering etc thumps your RAM and some housekeeping is needed once in a while to keeps things smooth."

What kinds of problems are you running into? What version of Ae?

I notice that you have 8 GB of RAM -- that's not all that much for After Effects and you would certainly benefit from an upgrade.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]