ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Need input on After Effects/Premiere music video workflow

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Magnus Kristiansen
Need input on After Effects/Premiere music video workflow
on Oct 8, 2014 at 9:01:28 pm

Hi guys, first time posting here. Hoping for some useful input from the community.

I'm basically in the process of creating a music video with an infinite black effect very similar to this one:

To master the infinite black effect I've watched (and learned) from the directors tutorial:

For my video, all the shots are done, and I know how to create the infinite black effect in AE. What I'm struggling with is how to structure the workflow in Premiere/After Effects to make similar animations as in the video above. I've laid out and synched all the different shots in Premiere, but I'm simply not sure how to proceed in creating all the ins/outs/moving around in After Effects as done in the Denim Snakes video.

Does anyone have a good guess on the post-production workflow from the video above? As detailed as possible? Or links to good tutorials that will teach me the animation/moving around technique?

Any help is appreciated beyond thanks!

Return to posts index

Derek Boettcher
Re: Need input on After Effects/Premiere music video workflow
on Oct 8, 2014 at 9:36:59 pm

I would personally do the editing in Premiere; utilize the crop functions to get the slicing in there. You can also add a white matte down below your footages to get the line. For the slide effects, pick which footages you want to use before hand. Take it into AE, make a new comp to fit the footage, drag the frame off in what ever direction you want the slide to come in, make a keyframe, more forward to when you want the movement to stop (looks like 10-15 frames or so in that example) reposition the footage center creating a new keyframe. Easy-ease the last key frame; open the graph editor and smooth out the Bezier even more. Then turn on motion blur and there you go.

Add those clips back into Premiere and by doing the sliding in AE but the cropping in Pr, you won't need to do much positioning work while edit. Hope that helps. Ask me to clarify if you need me too, and would love to see a final product.

Best,
Derek Boettcher
Creative Management
BTH Media Group
http://bthmedia.com

Return to posts index

Magnus Kristiansen
on Oct 9, 2014 at 9:46:26 pm

Thanks for the quick feedback Derek, much appreciated.

As a fairly inexperienced user of PP/AE there's still some stuff that is unclear to me. When you say 'do the editing in PP' do you mean the synching of the videotracks or the actual editing of the whole video? I'm unsure about this since I'm looking for that picture-in-picture effect as in the video above. To make that in AE I would have to have several tracks on top of each other (synched) - am I right? Not sure how to do that if I import a flat edited track from PP.

Would you or anyone be able to provide a step-by-step description on how the video above was put together? Using only two video tracks as an example, for simplicity..

Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Derek Boettcher
on Oct 9, 2014 at 11:15:38 pm

If I have time tonight I'll whip something together, if not expect it around 1pm cat tomorrow

Best,
Derek Boettcher
Creative Management
BTH Media Group
http://bthmedia.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]