ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Best Video File Setting for Moving Stills

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Johnson
Best Video File Setting for Moving Stills
on Oct 7, 2014 at 8:24:29 pm

I'm creating a video file of stills sliding in and out of frame against a gray/white backdrop. In exporting and transcoding to achieve a file that will be sent out for viewing. What are my best options for filetype and codec to maintain the quality in the movement, i.e. avoid frame jitters?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Best Video File Setting for Moving Stills
on Oct 7, 2014 at 9:10:17 pm

Did you have a certain horizontal/vertical resolution and frame rate in mind?

And sent out for viewing HOW? By email? Youtube? DVD? Typically, you figure out what you need to deliver, and then work backwards from that point.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Oct 7, 2014 at 9:23:12 pm

Dave is correct. Start with your delivery requirements and work backward from there.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Peter Johnson
on Oct 7, 2014 at 10:48:28 pm

firstly thanks for the dialogue. The final product will be an mpeg4 to be used in a keynote presentation. I'm working in 24p 1920x1080. In the past I've just exported a ProResHQ and then converted to an H264 mpeg4 (with de-interlace clicked on). I can't help but think when it's a graphics only video that there would be a different protocol of choice.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 7, 2014 at 11:58:38 pm

Not really. A lot of what you make in AE comes down to how your work will be played back. Stick with what you've done in the past, I'd say.

And as you animate the graphics, watch out for the judder!

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Oct 8, 2014 at 1:29:09 am

[Peter Johnson] "The final product will be an mpeg4 to be used in a keynote presentation. I'm working in 24p 1920x1080."

It is extremely unlikely that a presentation projector is running at 24p. It's much more likely it's running at 60 Hz. If you want smoother motion, ditch the "cinematic" frame rate and work at 29.97/30 or 59.94/60 frames per second. Just check in with the technical team about their preferences.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]