ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Seamless Cuts

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris VickersSeamless Cuts
by on Oct 7, 2014 at 12:22:08 pm

Alright, just watched this video, I'm interested in how hes made the "seamless" cuts. Obviously there's a huge amount of time ramping across the whole piece which helps but there's a ton of camera movement added in to aid transitions - its clearly been worked on a huge amount but there's so much of of it i'm sure he must be using a plugin:

Any thoughts would be appreciated, it's more of just seeing a great piece and wanting to lift the veil a little.

Many thanks

Return to posts index

Daniel WaldronRe: Seamless Cuts
by on Oct 7, 2014 at 3:05:16 pm

That's an awesome video.

Everything I saw looked like it could be done with some scaling, time-remapping, maybe some motion blur, and good old-fashioned editing. The stellar camera work also helps. I suggest downloading the clip and moving through the transitions frame by frame to see what's happening.

Return to posts index

Richard GarabedainRe: Seamless Cuts
by on Oct 7, 2014 at 3:53:42 pm
Last Edited By Richard Garabedain on Oct 7, 2014 at 3:55:17 pm

Ya, probably just lots of time remapping. What might make a project such as this easier to produce is if you applied your time remapping to a slider with values from -2 to +2(or whatever you want). This way you could just animate the slide instead of lots of painful time remapping.

Also. have you ever put a wiggle on time remapping? It makes a pretty cool effect. You could even add a separate slider for the wiggle.

Also probably doesn't hurt if you shoot your footage at a higher frame rate.

Return to posts index

Derek BoettcherRe: Seamless Cuts
by on Oct 8, 2014 at 5:20:22 pm

I doubt he is using a plugin to get the "seemless" cuts. A lot of his cuts appear to be extremely well planned out with camera motion. If you notice, most of the cuts occur while the camera is moving, creating a motion blur, then a quick 3-5 frame fade will make it feel like the cut was "seemless." That's probably how he got the feel of it. Other than that some of it may have been done in post using motion blur etc. but my guess would be good pre-production.

Derek Boettcher
Creative Management
BTH Media Group

Return to posts index

Daniel WaldronRe: Seamless Cuts
by on Nov 6, 2014 at 5:10:57 pm

Here's some editors commenting on the various techniques that may have been used in the video:

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved