ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Poor quality in h.264 export from AfterEffects through Adobe Media Encoder

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Phil Snyder
Poor quality in h.264 export from AfterEffects through Adobe Media Encoder
on Oct 5, 2014 at 10:33:33 pm

I tried to export a scene with multiple mattes created in AfterEffects using Adobe Media Encoder. The original scene was shot on the Canon 5D Mark III using the h.264 codec. The default AME setting is h.264 (Match Source and high bitrate). However, it creates a compressed mp4 file of inferior quality. I've tried exporting using a couple of other settings such as MPEG2 and Quicktime movie with not much better results. My workflow is to import the scene into my timeline in FCP 7. When I've done this using any of these exports, the scene doesn't play smoothly. My question is how can I get a good quality export from AfterEffects that I can edit in my timeline. Should I try transcoding it in FCP 7 to Apple ProRes?

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Re: Poor quality in h.264 export from AfterEffects through Adobe Media Encoder
on Oct 6, 2014 at 6:43:12 am

You should render out of AE to a high quality format to use later in any editing software. QT Animation or QT PNG should do the trick. This may have to be rendered for preview in your editing software depending on the machine you work on. Also, with the newer AE/Encoder versions you should be able to render ProRes.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Phil Snyder
on Oct 6, 2014 at 12:29:32 pm

Thanks, Ted. I tried AVC Intra and that did the trick.

Return to posts index

Phil Snyder
on Oct 6, 2014 at 2:44:20 pm

However,
I just noticed that all the AME export settings are 29.97 fps. My timeline and the rest of my clips are 23.98. It looks OK now. Do you think there will
be a problem with interlacing?

Return to posts index

Daniel Waldron
on Oct 6, 2014 at 3:42:27 pm

If you shot on a 5d Mark III, all your shots will be progressive, so interlacing won't be an issue. Perhaps what you mean is will the difference in framerate be in issue. Depending on what you shot, there is a good chance it could cause some jumpiness or sync issues. I would re-export the clips. Nothing good can come from using the wrong framerate.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 6, 2014 at 6:25:35 pm

You can create your own AE compression settings, you know. You don't have to rely on just the ones there.

And FYI: the actual frame rate is NOT 23.98, as some camera makers and software vendors would lead you to believe. It's 23.976. Forget that little factoid at your peril.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Phil Snyder
on Oct 6, 2014 at 6:55:16 pm

Yeah, I know about 23.976.

Are the AE settings located in Adobe Media Encoder?

Return to posts index

Daniel Waldron
on Oct 6, 2014 at 9:10:18 pm

You can change the settings in Media Encoder or right in After Effects in the Render Queue. Click on the yellow text to see the options. It defaults to your composition's framerate, so check that your composition settings are accurate as well.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]