COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Honan
How can I replicate this star burst fx in After Fx
on Sep 29, 2014 at 5:32:48 pm

Hi from totally and grey York UK :-(

Ok here goes. There's is a lot I like about this video

but my question is...

"Is it possible to replicate the floating glowing light effects that are really obvious at ) 0:49s in After effects"

Also...

"At 0:13 footage of the building twists and jump cuts, what would be a first step at beginning to learn how to do this?"

Thanks in advance,
David

Return to posts index

Daniel Waldron
Re: How can I replicate this star burst fx in After Fx
on Sep 29, 2014 at 6:13:26 pm
Last Edited By Daniel Waldron on Sep 29, 2014 at 8:08:31 pm

There are many ways to skin this cat. To make the floating lights, I would use a particle system with Depth of Field enabled so the closer ones are more in focus. You'll have to mess around with the settings, but to start, I would make the particles discs or faded spheres or something circular (depends on what particle plugin you are using). Turn the longevity and particle size up and birthrate down. Then make the gravity slightly negative so they float upwards. See where that gets you and keep adjusting to get the look you want.

The effect at :13 could easily be replicated with some time-remapping and keyframes for the scale, position, and rotation.

Return to posts index

David Honan
on Sep 30, 2014 at 8:20:48 am

Thanks Daniel :-) Not sure what a particle system would mean in thgis context but I'm a rookie so much to learn!

Return to posts index

Daniel Waldron
on Sep 30, 2014 at 2:04:36 pm

No problem. You have to start somewhere.

Particle systems are very versatile and useful in After Effects. A few of the effects After Effects comes preloaded with are CC Particle World and Particle Playground. Another popular paid plugin is Trapcode Particular. Turn on the TV for more than 10 minutes and you'll most likely see particles in use.

To get a basic grasp of After Effects, I like Video Copilot's Basic Training. It's a little dated now, but the fundamentals are the same. Adobe TV and the tutorials here on Creative Cow are also great resources.

Good luck!

Return to posts index

David Honan
on Sep 30, 2014 at 4:37:50 pm

Thanks Daniel youve helped me get a hold of this, plus I came across this:

So much clearer now :-)

Grazie mille!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]