ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Offsetting a clone brush position

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael RoyOffsetting a clone brush position
by on Sep 26, 2014 at 3:38:36 pm

This is pretty ridiculous situation, and as I'm a pretty basic AE user I might not be able to explain it very well, but I have a problem with a video I took of myself playing piano in a side-on view. It's the only perfect take and I really want to keep it, but when I played it back I realised that like an idiot I'd managed to miss a patch of hair when I'd shaved my head that morning. So, the end result is a perfect take in which there's a rather distracting patch of long hair above my ear! I've tried using AE to create an animated clone brush using this tutorial: https://www.video2brain.com/en/lessons/removing-an-object-with-clone-stamp

I've successfully managed to use the clone stamp to cover the offending area, then have tracked the motion of my head and copied the attach point data to the clone stamp position so that the cloned area stays on top of the area I want to cover up.

However, I'm unable to track and animate the area I want to use as my clone source, because it's just very short hair and the motion tracker craps out as soon as there's any movement. What I thought I could do is use the same tracking data that I used to animate the destination for the clone stamp, but apply an offset so that remains in the area I want to use as my clone source. I can't see any way to do this.

Anyway, I'm probably explaining this completely wrong, and maybe there's no way to rescue the footage, but I'm hoping someone might be able to help! Thanks...

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Offsetting a clone brush position
by on Sep 26, 2014 at 4:31:27 pm

Use the exact same expression, but add +value to the end. Then you can scrub or otherwise adjust the value.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Michael RoyRe: Offsetting a clone brush position
by on Sep 27, 2014 at 11:45:06 pm

Thanks Michael. This is going to sound really dumb but how do I actually do that? I mean I've pasted the keyframes from the track data into the 'Clone Position' field, then I've opened the expressions thing, but I don't know what to add where... Are you saying that rather than pasting the keyframes I should have copied and pasted the expression?

Also, just out of interest, is there a way I could create a clone stamp that followed not just the position of an area but also its rotation/scale? I know I can track that data but I just don't know how I would then apply it to my clone stamp. Anyway, thanks for the help, I'm slowly learning AE by trying this stuff but still very much a beginner!

Return to posts index

by on Sep 27, 2014 at 11:48:27 pm

Oh wait - I think I worked it out! I deleted the pasted keyframes and instead pasted the expression from the track data with a +value at the end, it looks okay! That's ace, thanks again for your help...

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Offsetting a clone brush position
by on Sep 29, 2014 at 3:19:50 am

Hooray! Glad you figured it out.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

by on Oct 15, 2014 at 12:27:26 pm

Okay, long time later I have a follow-up question, grateful if anyone is able to help... When I add a + value to the end of the motion track position's attach point expression, that offsets it horizontally. But if I want offset it vertically also, what would I need to add to the expression for that?

Return to posts index

Michal RadwanskiRe: Offsetting a clone brush position
by on Apr 2, 2015 at 11:43:46 am

+[0, value] for vertical offset

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]