ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Can't get proper motion tracking with light layer

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris larsenCan't get proper motion tracking with light layer
by on Sep 25, 2014 at 10:40:16 pm
Last Edited By Chris larsen on Sep 25, 2014 at 10:40:55 pm

Hi all, I'm trying to compose a distant rocket launching into the sky in the background of a mountain shot that I have. It's handheld footage so it's a little shakey, so I created a null layer and motion tracked the footage with the null as the target. Then, I created a light layer (I eventually want to use this for a smoke trail in particular) that I want to have keyframed so it goes from the mountaintop -> up to the sky, then parent it to the null layer. With a 2d object, this method works perfectly.

Problem is I *think* the z-space introduced by the light layer since it's a 3d object doesn't allow it to parent the way I want it to to the null's x-positioning, and I'm getting a light that goes from the mountaintop to the sky but does not mimic the null layers tracking positioning. Instead it goes from mountaintop -> sky while shifting side to side.

How should I be approaching this? My brain is starting to melt

Return to posts index

Chris larsenRe: Can't get proper motion tracking with light layer
by on Sep 26, 2014 at 12:40:54 am
Last Edited By Chris larsen on Sep 26, 2014 at 12:49:25 am

I've tried to use something besides a light layer that's 2d instead and it tracks fine, but I can't get Particular to leave a trail of smoke if it's not a light layer.

Anyways, maybe I'm looking for a script or something to make the light layer behave like it's 2d?

Return to posts index

Frank FeijenRe: Can't get proper motion tracking with light layer
by on Sep 26, 2014 at 10:37:57 am

What about copy-pasting your null's position keyframes to your light instead of parenting?

Return to posts index

Doyle LewisRe: Can't get proper motion tracking with light layer
by on Sep 26, 2014 at 12:52:09 pm

Hey chris if you have After Efects CS 5.5 or later, then the AE 3d camera solve might be a better solution than a 2D track for you since you want to attach objects that live in 3D space, Like a light and particle system. If that is not an option for you then check your z space for the light. Does the light have a value of 0 for its Z position? the farther forward or back you bring the light in Z space the more the light will exaggerate or lessen (respectively) the track from the parented null. Let me know if that helps or if you have further questions

Doyle Lewis, Assistant Videographer

thinkck.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]