ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Memory and Multiprocessing - AE CC 2014

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason NelsonMemory and Multiprocessing - AE CC 2014
by on Sep 25, 2014 at 1:08:06 pm

I've been using AE for several years now, but have never really understood the Memory setting in the Preferences dialog box. I have 32GB of RAM installed. I have AE set to reserve 3GB for other applications and the rest for CC stuff. I typically am working with AE, AI, PS, and ME open all at once, which I know taps into the remaining 29GB of RAM. I also typically have Outlook, Word, and Google Chrome open, along with other background processes.

My overall system is plenty beefy enough to handle them all, but I'm curious how much of a difference it makes if I increase the RAM reserved for other applications from 3GB, or just leave it the same. Like everyone else, I want to squeeze as much as possible out of AE, yet still need the ability to run other programs in the background.

So, again, my question is, what have others experienced when adjusting the RAM reserved for other applications?

I've attached a couple of screenshots to show my AE settings and my computer specs.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Memory and Multiprocessing - AE CC 2014
by on Sep 25, 2014 at 2:26:20 pm

You are probably being too aggressive with these settings, starving the computer of the resources it needs for background tasks.

You'll almost certainly benefit from allocating more RAM to Ae and fewer CPUs. 3 GB is probably forcing your system to swap memory out the hard disk and back.

I generally recommend leaving a quarter of your total RAM free for other applications, and half your CPU cores on hyperthreaded systems like yours as a starting point.

There are no ideal multiprocessing settings; it's a tradeoff between CPU and RAM, and different comps may have different requirements. You may have to experiment a bit to see what works best for your own usage patterns.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Memory and Multiprocessing - AE CC 2014
by on Sep 25, 2014 at 3:00:03 pm

As Walter says:

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

EricBowenRe: Memory and Multiprocessing - AE CC 2014
by on Sep 25, 2014 at 6:53:16 pm

Also AE 2014 seems to have better performance when the ram per CPU core is set to 3GB or 4GB regardless of the amount of threads available. The Ram profile for AE seems to be large now even more so than in the past. Keep in mind using other applications at the same time as AE will further limit the amount of ram AE has for the player and such. I would try and restrict that some with complex comps in AE.

Tech Manager

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved