ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

mask not following plate

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hamid Rohi-Bilverdymask not following plate
by on Sep 25, 2014 at 12:49:27 pm

Short story. I have made a small motion track from inside cinema4d's new motion tracker. The scene pans around a sofa. There was a remote control on the sofa which o removed by making a selection from cinema4d and paint it out in photoshop so i ended up with a clean plate. I rendered the plate out from cinema4d as a png sequence. Imported into after effect. Here i have some rather sharp edges, so i made a mask and feathered it a bit. Here is my question. As the footage pans from left to right, what is the approach to make my mask follow along? I can do manual key framing of the mask path but it is tedious. Are there any other options? Maybe track the plate and have the mask attached to a null??

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: mask not following plate
by on Sep 25, 2014 at 1:39:49 pm

There are a few automated scripts you can purchase that can take a lot of the work out of mask tracking, Tracker Bundle. You might want to check them out.

Also, I believe you can do this with Mocha, but you may need the purchased version, not sure though.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Hamid Rohi-BilverdyRe: mask not following plate
by on Sep 25, 2014 at 11:47:26 pm

Hi john.
Thanks for reply. Yeah I could probraly do it with mocha but i found a much easier solution. I just used the build in mask tracker, it worked. I just had to upgrade from 12.0 to 12.1.

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: mask not following plate
by on Sep 26, 2014 at 2:19:22 pm

While you're at it, you could go to 12.2, there are even more features there.
Or maybe go all the way to version 13!
(There's an update for 13 coming out in a few weeks or so too.)

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved