ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Brush write on speed : make consistent?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Fred Hickler
Brush write on speed : make consistent?
on Sep 24, 2014 at 8:48:26 pm

When using the brush tool with the Duration set to Write On - so that the brush stroke will animate on, it uses the speed of your mouse movements - with all speed ups and slow downs - to animate the stroke. Is there a way to force it to use a constant speed regardless of the inconsisency of your hand movements?

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
Re: Brush write on speed : make consistent?
on Sep 25, 2014 at 12:08:40 pm

One thing you might try is to break down what you are writing into multiple paint effects, either per word or character if you can.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Fred Hickler
on Sep 25, 2014 at 5:56:04 pm

Thanks for the suggestion but I'm not writing on text. I am applying an animated brush effect. To achieve this, you set the Duration to Write On, but it is not writing in the sense of text.

Return to posts index

Richard Garabedain
on Sep 25, 2014 at 2:42:11 pm

Can you rove the keyframes?

Return to posts index

Fred Hickler
on Sep 25, 2014 at 5:57:07 pm

Does applying a brush with duration set to write on generate key frames? If so how do you display / edit them? I don't see any.

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Sep 28, 2014 at 1:25:30 pm

It generates two, one from when you start and one when you end. If you select the layer you painted, press "U" to reveal the keyframes, or "E" and then twirl open the paint effect. You can't really rove the keyframes, but you could add more keyframes and then adjust them to speed up the pauses.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."

Return to posts index

Fred Hickler
on Sep 29, 2014 at 12:11:13 am

I assume you're talking about the automatically generated keyframes for End 0% and End 100%. I essentially did already do what you suggest, but it is a pain in the butt. I wish I could have it paint on and record the path, but have the option of ignoring the interim speed changes and just use the overall speed.

Let me explain what my goal is and perhaps someone could suggest a better method. I have an illustrator graphic of a curving path of irregular width that I want to draw on. I know I can do this by drawing the path in AE and animating it, but I don't want to do this, because the source graphic is an AI vector of irregular width that would be too hard to reproduce in AE. What I did was to paint over it and to use the paint effect as a mask. But this results in a path that draws on at inconsistent speed, as mentioned before. A wipe effect or animated mask shape would not work either, because of the curviness of the path. -- unless I animate a mask frame by frame - but this is the type of tediousness I am trying to avoid.

So what would the best way to have a curving path draw itself on the screen at a consisten speed, assuming that the path must be an imported AI graphic and not drawn in in AE?

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Sep 29, 2014 at 1:04:06 am

Here a couple methods you could try. Copy the path in illustrator, add a solid above your vector graphic, add the Generate > Write On effect, click the brush position stop watch and cntl+v the illustrator path to the brush position. Change the Brush Time Properties to "Size", and then you can keyframe the brush width, to the irregular sizes you need. Now just change your vector art to alpha matte. One drawback to this method, is you either need to adjust your illustrator artwork to be the same comp size in AE, or will have to make adjustments in AE to get the paths to match up.

2nd idea would be to use the motion sketch tool. Create a solid, turn off the visibility and do a motion sketch capture, tracking your artwork. Now you can copy those positions keyframes into the brush property of write on effect. Select all the keyframes, right-click and you can turn them into "Rove Across Time" keyframes. And you have the ability to keyframe the stroke width.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

Return to posts index

Fred Hickler
on Sep 29, 2014 at 5:55:09 pm

Those both sound like very good suggestions. Plus they spark other possible ideas in my mind as well. Unfortunately, I had to go ahead and use my pain-in-the-butt method just to get the job done on time. But I'm sure this will come up again, as I will be doing many similar jobs in the future. So next time, I will try one of these ideas and report back on how it went.

Thanks again.

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Sep 30, 2014 at 2:59:10 am

Well, hope it helps in the future.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]