ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Resolve/Premiere Pro CC 14/AE Linked Comp Round Trip Workflow Q's

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Randy RubinResolve/Premiere Pro CC 14/AE Linked Comp Round Trip Workflow Q's
by on Sep 24, 2014 at 6:02:14 pm

Hi All,

Posted this on the Adobe forum, but figured multiple opinions is never a bad thing!

I started using Premiere Pro for a project I just wrapped editing. I switched from Avid because I knew I'd be doing a bunch of comping in AE. Here is what I've done so far:

1. Resolve: BMCC/BMPCC Raw files converted to Proxy and exported AAF DNxHD 36 files (originally was going to use Avid)
2. Premiere: Edit footage and during editing created numerous linked AE Comps.
3. Premiere: Finished the cut and am now attempting to determine how to relink the AE comps to the RAW footage to grade and send back to Premiere/AE. I've used an XML to relink to source camera files in Resolve with no issue outside of some effects not supported and the AE Linked Comps.

I understand this is going to be a bit of a manual process but here is what I'm thinking: log each clip used in AE manually, grade the footage in resolve, export as lossless a file as possible (DPX?) and use the 'replace' function in AE to replace the proxy files with the graded footage.

Any tips on how to make this a bit smoother?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Resolve/Premiere Pro CC 14/AE Linked Comp Round Trip Workflow Q's
by on Sep 24, 2014 at 6:20:22 pm

Do you have edit lock on this project, I.E. all of the editing is done and will not change?

Normally, color grading is done as the final step before delivery. There may be mitigating circumstances in your case, but we don't know that for sure.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Randy RubinRe: solve/Premiere Pro CC 14/AE Linked Comp Round Trip Workflow Q's
by on Sep 24, 2014 at 7:00:48 pm

Edit is locked.

Return to posts index

Randy RubinRe: Resolve/Premiere Pro CC 14/AE Linked Comp Round Trip Workflow Q's
by on Sep 24, 2014 at 7:46:40 pm

Was there something in my workflow that suggested that it was not locked?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Resolve/Premiere Pro CC 14/AE Linked Comp Round Trip Workflow Q's
by on Sep 24, 2014 at 9:42:51 pm

Nope, just wanted to make certain. Suggestions later. Busy at the moment.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

by on Sep 25, 2014 at 5:43:14 pm

Your proposed workflow looks good as long as horizontal & vertical dimensions match from editor to Resolve to AE. Also frame rate, of course.

I just hope it isn't an hour's worth of footage! That would be a drag.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Randy RubinRe: Resolve/Premiere Pro CC 14/AE Linked Comp Round Trip Workflow Q's
by on Sep 25, 2014 at 7:45:06 pm

Thanks, nope only a minute long video. I was going to upres some of the footage back to 2.5K for scaling but maybe that'll throw off the effects - I'll have to see.

Is there a better workflow for future projects you could suggest?

Appreciate the help.

Return to posts index

by on Sep 25, 2014 at 11:46:41 pm

Yeah, I'd to the color grading LAST, if at all possible; before you dive in, you'd have to check if AE could handle the specific type of file you're working with.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]