ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Blend modes and alpha channels

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jake Abramson
Blend modes and alpha channels
on Sep 23, 2014 at 5:38:58 pm

I'm working on a lower third and wanted to add one of the Digital Juice Overlay effects (black & white animation). Normally you just drop in the layer and add the multiply blend mode. This works fine for the content portion of the comp, but anywhere that there is transparency/alpha channel, it just shows the DJ layer instead of blank.

Is there a way to have After Effects not affect, or ignore the empty/transparent areas with the blend modes?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: Blend modes and alpha channels
on Sep 23, 2014 at 5:58:39 pm

You could use a track matte or the Set Matte effect to cut the layer to only appear in the areas you would like.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Jake Abramson
on Sep 23, 2014 at 7:17:15 pm

I did try the track matte route and while it did work, it just wasn't as clean. I was getting a bit of bleed on the edges. I was hoping for something cleaner.

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Sep 23, 2014 at 7:26:58 pm

You shouldn't have any bleed at all if the track matte matches up. Do you have a screenshot or two to demonstrate the issue?

- The Great Szalam

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Jake Abramson
on Sep 23, 2014 at 7:49:29 pm

Original File without texture added

Now with texture added using the set matte effect using the same red background matte. Note the faint white line around the edge, and the white bleed through on the triangles. I tried rendering pre-matteed and un-matted with no difference.

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Sep 23, 2014 at 7:54:26 pm

Oh, I see what you mean.

Can you apply everything except for the alpha in a precomp? (I don't mean just on the grunge - I mean everything) and then cut out the shapes you need in the main comp? (Like, precomp everything, then use a duplicate of the red stuff as a track matte for the precomp.)

- The Great Szalam

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]