ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Can't move/convert shape anchor points when keyframes enabled

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Vo
Can't move/convert shape anchor points when keyframes enabled
on Sep 23, 2014 at 2:03:51 pm
Last Edited By Chris Vo on Sep 23, 2014 at 2:08:23 pm

I have a shape layer that I'm looking to manipulate over time. I'm able to move/convert anchor points for the two keyframes but once the keyframes are set, I'm unable to go back and tweak them—currently I have to delete the keyframes and start over. I've scrolled through every pen tool/keyboard option and nothing works (it can add a new anchor point, creating a new path in the shape layer which is not what I want).

I have a simple linear interpolation expression for the shape path, does that effect anything? Am I overlooking something here?

AE CC, Mac Mavericks

Thanks,

Chris

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: Can't move/convert shape anchor points when keyframes enabled
on Sep 23, 2014 at 5:54:38 pm

What exact version number of CC?
I'm not following your workflow. Are you trying to adjust the keyframes in the composition panel? What happens if you try to add keyframes or adjust them in the timeline panel?

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Chris Vo
on Sep 23, 2014 at 6:08:54 pm

Thanks for your reply, Michael.

AE CC 12.2.1.5

I'm trying to adjust the anchor points of my path/shape. I set 2 keyframes so I can interpolate between them using a slider for an animation. I am able to adjust/move/tweak the anchor points of the path when I don't set the keyframes but once I set the second keyframe I am no longer able to adjust/move/tweak the anchor points like one would normally do.

Is that any clearer?

The animation is a shape path of a windy river that is getting larger/smaller as water levels increase/decrease. Can't do a simple scale because it is a obtuse object and gets all disproportionate. Therefore I thought the best way is to interpolate between a "small" version of the river shape path and a "large" river shape path. The problem is that I need to make more tweaks to the shape of the river path but since I've set the slider (to test animation) I'm no longer able to adjust the anchor points.

Thanks again,

Chris

Return to posts index

Chris Vo
on Sep 24, 2014 at 3:58:39 pm

Update*

I now know that having an expression for the path is the cause as to why I can't adjust the vertices after-the-fact. I have to remove the expression in order to adjust the path vertices.

Is this just how it is?

Thanks,

Return to posts index

Brian Charles
on Sep 24, 2014 at 4:05:01 pm

[Chris Vo] "Is this just how it is? "

It depends on the expression. Coordinates may be set exclusively by the expression or can use the layer value plus the expressed coordinate.

eg:

x = sliderValue;

OR

x = value + sliderValue

the latter would still allow adjustment of keyframes.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]