ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Dynamic link workflow with AE as main focus

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg Sage
Dynamic link workflow with AE as main focus
on Sep 23, 2014 at 2:44:43 am

I have created a template in AE that will require footage to be dropped in and replaced weekly. There is so much goin on in AE that I basically want to only use PR and AU to prepare the footage.

I'm running camera and separate audio through PluralEyes, then need to audition, set markers for placement in AE template, replace audio with cleaned up version from AU.

So...

If I have 4-10 takes a week to do this with, should I be auditioning and marking in PR, then sending the individual clips to AU? If so, I just end up with additional audio clips in PR. Do I need to merge them first before dropping in AE? I really don't want or need the old audio. Just want the version with noise reduction, trimmed, etc.

Or... do as a sequence... though it's not really a sequence since I need to drop the clips in various places throughout AE.

Or... should I create a PR project for each clip, farm the audio out to Audition, drop the clip into a sequence, use only the replaced audio, then import the PR sequence into AE rather than the clip?

Really just looking for streamlined way to get footage with markers and tailored audio into AE where I can just line up the markers, and I'm done.

or handle the audio some other way? One way or another, the template is ready to go where I line up markers, and tons of layering and other AE goodness takes care of itself from there.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Dynamic link workflow with AE as main focus
on Sep 23, 2014 at 4:13:31 pm

Here's a possible revelation for you --

if I KNOW that my video edit will not change, I will almost always export the video & whatever audio is present to use AS A REFERENCE for timing purposes, do the AE work, then render with NO audio. None.

Your workflow may be even easier -- you may be able to use Dynamic Link to get the video & reference audio into AE.

Who needs the audio once you're done in AE? It's in the video editing app, and as long as the frame rates match throughout the project, there will be no problems.

So I'd recommend that you relieve your stress over getting audio into AE, and concentrate on using the editing app as the focus where everything comes together -- edited video, Effects work, audio work. Once there, it's a simple jump to an export to Adobe Media Encoder for the final deliverable file.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Greg Sage
on Sep 23, 2014 at 8:56:57 pm

I nearly follow.

I agree that it's not a priority to have the audio in AE.

Basically, each time we shoot, I'll have a few clips (synched with PluralEyes) that need to be entered into AE. Basically, the only reason for leaving AE are to mark the footage, and deal with the audio. Yes, the audio is synched to the clip, so no, none of it really has to be in AE. Since the dynamic link only works one way or the other, just trying to think through the process.

Should I adjust the following?

1 AE template has everything all lined up so I can just drop clips in. Timing of some elements needs to be adjusted depending on length of the clips, but so long as clips are marked with in and out points prior to AE, I don't need the audio to do this.

2 Each new episode, load a half dozen or so AVCHD camera clips into 5DtoRGB batch to transcode into ProRes 4:2:2.

3 Use PluralEyes to synch clips to Audio (Here's the first Q... should I just export with audio replaced, use the launch PR option, or maybe even do audition first, then clean up the audio?

4 Open the clips in PR to set the markers for import into AE.

5 Send the audio from PR to AU. (Here's the next Q... should I be sending clips? A sequence? After this point, I'm really up in the air. AU just generates new audio clips. It doesn't replace the audio. I understand the whole non-destructive thing in PR, but ultimately it's my goal to essentially merge the fixed audio with the video or similar. What's the fastest route at this point?

After that, I'm back up in the air. Is there then a way to RE-open PR with Dynamic link going the other way? I understand you can't loop back, but if the clip marking bit is done, PR is closed, and the sequence or PR project is loaded into AE, can I then establish Dynamic Link the other way, import the entire AE project into PR, and preview it all with audio there... farming the entire multitrack seqeunce out to AU for fixing if necessary?

thx

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 23, 2014 at 9:46:18 pm

After Effects doesn't have to appear in any part of your Premiere-Audition audio work. You don't have even have good audio for what you're doing in AE.

Just bring in the clips from Premiere -- with lousy audio, that's okay, you're just using it to help you time things out -- and when you're done, you render with no audio and use it in Premiere. Pretty simple.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Greg Sage
on Sep 23, 2014 at 10:13:46 pm

I guess the part I'm still not getting is how to then sync in PR since it's all blended coming out of AE where the clips are faded in and out with transitions, etc.

Am I leaving the slate tones and such in with the original footage loaded into AE, then rendering out with that audio so I can use that to sync to? If so, does that mean I render the AE project out, then use pluralEyes to sync to that, then into PR?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 23, 2014 at 11:56:30 pm

Hold on: I thought you were tackling ONE clip at a time in PP, and ONE clip at a time in AE for use in PP.

I guess I'm the one who's confused. If you've got a whole edit going in PP with clips of various lengths, and you seek a standard, import-it-and-you're-good-to-go method to apply effects in AE to such an edit, I'm afraid you're going to be disappointed.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Greg Sage
on Sep 24, 2014 at 2:11:28 am

It's the other way around. The project is stacked with so many layers, effects, built in transitions, etc that it needs to be essentially an AE project. The only reason for ever leaving AE is to mark the clips so I can drop them in more easily, and to handle the audio.

I was thinking I'd make a PP project just to mark the clips, import the project so I have access to the marked clips, then render out and deal with the levels of dialog vs music, etc.

Question boils down to whether I should fix the audio first before going into AE or just use the scratch audio on import into AE, then use PluralEyes to match up the dedicated audio, import it into PP along with the rendered video from AE, farm out the cleanup to AU... you get the idea.

Just not quite clear best way to proceed... but it's for a class, and we have to turn it around in a few days of class time. The AE part takes care of itself. Just drop in the clips, snap the end point of one to the beginning of the next transition, scooch down the line, and it's done. Issue is where and how to incorporate the audio and mark footage on the way in.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 24, 2014 at 6:07:46 pm

Use the scratch audio.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Greg Sage
on Sep 24, 2014 at 7:17:26 pm
Last Edited By Greg Sage on Sep 24, 2014 at 7:20:40 pm

OK, that makes sense.

So where would pluraleyes fit into this workflow. If I have scratch audio for each clip, some music for a segment in the middle (which I imported into AE with markers in order to time AE events to those markers), and some intro and outro music...

Should I jsut wait to do pluraleyes until after I'm done and rendered out of ae, then use it to sync all the bits (dialog and music) to the corresponding bits in AE, then export out a PR file from AE.

So, if I'm understanding...

1 load raw clips into PR. Toss the bad ones, mark the good ones. Save.

2 Import the PR project from within AE, and drop in the clips and scooch as necessary.

3 Render out a/v from AE uncompressed.

4 Drop AE render, music clips, and dialog good audio into Plural eyes and sync all (used) clips and audio to their AE scratch counterparts.

5 Export to PR (I haven't done this before. Tried twice, but something went wrong, so I've been doing just mated renders out.

6 Send audio clips out from PR to AU for cleanup as necessary. (should I be doing the whole PR sequence in AU here in one swing?

7 Audio back into PR (haven't gotten this working yet)

8 Render out of PR (ideally uncompressed then into Media Encoder, but with our schedule, probably try compressing to delivery format at this point.)

Does that sound right? I've done about 2/3 of this stuff before, but there are a few unknowns for me. Thx for the help.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]